1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weather App for Photographers

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by blrk, Jan 16, 2017.

1. blrk

blrk Member

Hello,

I am a university student who has to build a weather app aimed at photographers.

Since I am still in the research phase, I was wondering if anyone here could help me a bit, i.e. tell me what are the things (related to weather) that they consider the most important when taking pictures? How does weather affect your photos/the way things go?
    What would you like to see in a weather app made specifically for you?

Thank you!

2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

That's a project to keep you busy! Most photographers will check the Met Office or BBC sites for basic planning in the UK, so I'd concentrate on very local real time info about cloud cover and temperature. The added value might be to link to the compass and provide light angle info on both horizontal and vertical axes. If you could connect that to predicted cloud cover, you'd have something quite useful.If you could add international coverage and maps, you'd be cooking on gas!

3. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

That sounds interesting - for the sake of convenience I'd be tempted to add location-specific sunrise and sunset times and perhaps low and high tide times for coastal locations.

Cheers, Jeff

4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

The two resources I use in addition to looking out of the window are BBC Weather ( not always that reliable) and Tide Times so having that together is useful. I'm not one for chasing the sunrise and I'm usually too tired and hungry to hang around for sunset but these hours would be standard information used by many. Visibility would be useful as many a nice day is spoiled by haze. Cloud cover in octas would be handy. I roam up to 90 mins drive from base on a typical day out but don't really like going more than an hour away, so spatial resolution needs to be better than 50 miles.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
  5. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

Having information about visibility, especially with more detail than the Met Office's dumbed down "Poor - Good - Excellent" could be usefully, not just for mist and fog, but haze and other factors too, would be useful.

6. Jimbo57

Jimbo57 Well-Known Member

Important that app can identify precise location to within one or two miles. Weather condition can vary hugely in short distances. Something combining Photographers Ephemeris with BBC weather and Good Light might be useful. But most serious photographers already have 10 or more "light apps", so you need to stand out from the crowd.

7. Ffolrord

Ffolrord Well-Known Member

The information I need for a coastal shot is hourly weather, tide times and heights, sunrise and sunset times and compass points. In addition, if you could give me an accurate forecast of mist and fog, which is exceptionally difficult, then I would pay handsomely for your app. If you could then give me details of parking and free parking near my chosen location I would marry you.

8. blrk

blrk Member

9. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

on my ipad this asks me to rank 7 items 1-8.

10. blrk

blrk Member

There are 8 items: Cloud Cover, Light Angle, Temperature, Sunrise/Sunset Times, Sunrise/Sunset Duration, Visibility, Chance of Rain, Wind.

Thanks!

11. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Wind wasn't visible (!) on the webpage so I have submitted a response which does include a ranking for wind becuase I didn't know it was there!

12. blrk

blrk Member

It is, you just have to scroll a bit!

Thank you so much!

13. Ffolrord

Ffolrord Well-Known Member

It's a start but not enough info for me I'm afraid. Others give me moonrise and phase, for example. Sunrise duration?

14. blrk

blrk Member

I know, this is why you have the option to specify other factors that we haven't mentioned.

15. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Yes I know but that wasn't immediately obvious so you may get quite a few responses that don't include a rank for that item.