1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

We live in such a wonderful country...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Andrew Flannigan, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I think we're running into the consequences of the wealth gap. The majority at the bottom end of the economy are too poor to be able to sustain our high energy economy so there's a ripple of contraction running up the line. If there was more wealth at the bottom there'd be more spending and the economy would be growing. It's happening in China and America (more so in South America than in the US but Trump's politics of greed is putting the brakes on in the North as well). It's not just morally wrong to have a huge gap between rich and poor - it makes no sense politically or economically either.

Roger Hicks likes this.
  2. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

So, there should not be cars made unless everyone can afford to buy them?

3. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

I think it's more that the recession, enhanced and compounded by deliberately chosen austerity policies, has finally started to stop our consumer based economy from working. It's just dried up. I hope the wealthy get to experience the impact of their greed centred decisions more than we have had to suffer.
    Graeme

4. IvorCamera

IvorCamera In the Stop Bath

Thats what you are saying not me, I am saying besides the cars they produce now they should have also made a car which people like me could afford to buy, 2 or 3 years ago they took on far to many people, then the bottom dropped out of the diesel market.....so that was clearly a management problem.......and now like many other businesses the are blaming it on you know what!

5. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Three problems mentioned by JLR: China, diesels and Brexit.

S

Roger Hicks and DaveM399 like this.
  6. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Politically the Scottish Islands are part of Scotland, Anglesy is part of Wales, and the Isle of White is part of England.
    Geographically and historically the inclusion of those islands is moot point.

7. DaveM399

DaveM399 Well-Known Member

As I understand things, after Brexit, this country will be so wonderful (according to the hard of thinking) that the current trickle of immigrants will become a flood! Not the outcome they want!

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    steveandthedogs likes this.
  8. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I don't begrudge people buying new Land-Rovers. I always wanted one but it ain't going to happen unless a) Discovery 4's become unsellable because of the environmental taxes b) I can move somewhere that I can use it without incurring said taxes c) I can find someone to maintain it, beyond main dealer skills of putting some oil in, d) someone somewhere still makes the necessary parts to run it for another 20 years.

9. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

Geographically, the single island is Great Britain, as you point out the other islands have their own names.
    Historically, Great Britain was a national title used for about 110 years after the union.

Graeme

10. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

You really should look up the definition of the word "fact".

Evidently, you have little or no idea of the distinction between fact and opinion.

steveandthedogs and Learning like this.
  11. IvorCamera

Ford have now announced they are laying off many workers in the name of a shake up in the business......

12. IvorCamera

I sugest you do as well.....

13. Learning

Ivor is not alone. As far as I can see there is only one Brexit uber right wing troll on the site. There are are several uber left wing Remoaner trolls. I reckon that Ivor is outnumbered around five to one.
    Brexit is toxic. It splits this and many discussion forums into factions of hatred which are so UnBritish. It splits both our main political parties with similar hatred. Hopefully we do not extend article 50. To do so merely extends the nastiness that has developed.
    My own view is to accept the present offer to leave, and hopefully then have the chance to put Comrade Corbyn in to bat so as to deal with the Irish problem. His sympathies to the republicans are well known. The unionists lost control of the devolved parliament (the real reason for sulking). Redressing the bribes paid to N Ireland might well encourage the Northern Irish to B.off under the terms of the Good Friday Agreement. Scotland had its referendum for indepedance. Its only fair that N.Ireland has their go. I am happy that the Scots did not to choose to split Britain. I would be equally happy for the Irish to reunite Ireland. Partition never works well.

IvorCamera likes this.
  14. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

All the evidence points to wheatfield's government falling apart. It's been fatally weakened by the obsessive stupidity of its members. Wheatfield's policy of making as many tories as she can into ministers in the hope of garnering support simply hasn't worked.

It looks increasingly likely that Corbyn will get a call from the Palace in the next week or two. The question then arises as to whether he can do any better. Frankly I doubt it. The problem is that Labour is as hopelessly divided as the tories with the front bench pretty well at war with Momentum. The best outcome in my opinion is a swift revolt on the Labour front bench and someone with personal credibility taking over Labour.

Will this happen? When the pigs fly is the best guess I can offer. :(

Roger Hicks and peterba like this.
  15. peterba

You - and he - have both missed the point of my post.

He's entitled to his opinions, of course (however barmy they might be), but if you look at my post (#50), you'll see that I was referring to his use of the word "fact", when describing his opinions.

For example, he wrote in post #38 "they should start producing cars that we can all afford! .........Fact!". That is NOT a "fact" - it is his opinion.

16. Learning

Indeed if manufacturers only produced cars that we all could afford then they would never have made anything better than the original black Ford Popular that cruised along the crown of our 'A' trunk roads at a steady 30mph (except on the hills of course, 20 mph up and 40 mph down).

17. peterba

I share your doubts about the current Labour approach on Brexit, Andrew. I don't know - maybe they'd do better, maybe they wouldn't. It's become almost irrelevant, IMO, because salvaging anything meaningful from the Brexit shambles is now looking like a lost cause. Whatever happens, at least half the country will be bloody incandescent. :( The vacuous Cameron dropped a vile stink-bomb, and then left the scene. He should be charged with something - though as a non-lawyer, I don't know what.

On everything non-Brexit, Labour really should do better than the current government, because - quite frankly - it's difficult to imagine anything worse.

18. peterba

Which - again - completely misses the point of my post #55.

19. Learning

One thing Corbyn could do is deal with the Irish border problem.
    Also it is good to have a change between left and right now and again.
    I have already stated that I do not like Corbyn's neo marxist views or those of his union paymaster McClusky, however in the present circumstances I would take chance on giving him a one term innings. Corbyn is a long term Eurosceptic although he might wobble a bit due to all the young people who supported him at the last election.
    Wouldn't it be a hoot if left wing Corbyn won an election with the aid of a bunch of right wing Tory brexiteers? Of course it wouldn't happen; it couldn't happen, could it?

20. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

As far as affordable cars go, methinks if more people took notice of the manufacturers reliability ratings then there would be less demand for the status symbols, Jaguar 29th, Landrover 36th out of 40. Top 6 are all from the far east, Ford is at 7th.

https://www.reliabilityindex.com/manufacturer