1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

We live in such a wonderful country...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Andrew Flannigan, Jan 10, 2019 at 1:53 PM.

1. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Lindsay Pennell and peterba like this.
  2. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

You ain't seen nothin' yet - wait till March 29th. :(:mad:

peterba and steveandthedogs like this.
  3. IvorCamera

IvorCamera In the Stop Bath

That's why we are called Great Britain..........everybody is so welcome to come here!.........

4. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

what's even more infuriating is the number of Conservative MPs who posted pictures of themselves either at foodbanks or in supermarkets who were donating to foodbanks, over the Christmas period, as if it's a good thing. It's good that foodbanks are there to help people in need. It's appalling that in this day and age a country as rich as ours needs foodbanks. Apparently yesterday was called Fat Cat Day. It's the day on which the average salary of a FTSE 100 CEO outstrips the salary of the average worker. 4 days into the year and remember that the 1st was a holiday.

5. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I live in one of the wealthiest parts of the North West. My sister in law works in a food bank and it is really busy apparently. It really did surprise me that it was as busy as it was and the fact that it was necessary. Waitrose donate a lot of food to them, albeit some of it is getting close to the date.

And as for MPs, George Osbourne when he was our MP did his dutiful bit and visited. (Wanker gif needed)

LesleySM, peterba and steveandthedogs like this.
  6. IvorCamera

Food Banks.......Its nice to see them busy that's what they were set up for! and its a big well done to the many volunteers who work in them, the more wealthier the area the more likely they are to be busy, but we could still do with a few more in the poorer areas where I live.........

7. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Our local town council charges the food bank rent to use something not much bigger than a cupboard. No prizes for guessing where their political allegiance lies.

8. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

These few words tell us everything we need to know........

9. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

The one my SIL works in is in and organised by the church

peterba, steveandthedogs and Catriona like this.
  10. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Peter - he really doesn't get it.

S

peterba and DaveM399 like this.
  11. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

So I see, Steve - it's hopeless, isn't it? However, this is someone who professes to believe in Brexit unicorns, so I suppose we shouldn't really expect him to understand anything beyond the most basic concepts.

steveandthedogs likes this.
  12. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Not understanding simple logic is one thing, but a complete lack of morality is another.

S

peterba likes this.
  13. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Are there still free school dinners (or breakfasts)?

14. Catriona

In the old days, my mother would have a huge pot of soup on the stove; put to one side overnight and back on it the next day. The soup would be full of veg and pulses and be super filling with a bit of bread. Even now, I like to make a pot of soup and often, that's my dinner.

Being controversial, vegetables are cheap. Pulses and beans are cheap and filling. The expensive thing, I suppose, is electricity or gas to cook things. Other things such as mobile phones, games consoles, cars, iPods, iPads, wide screen TVs - well, it's a case of priorities, I guess, but few are as essential as feeding your children.

IvorCamera and Roger Hicks like this.
  15. Catriona

And just to be clear, I've been poor. I've lived on next to nothing when I left home at 15 years old - and even my first few years after marriage and struggling in London to keep our heads above water. I do sympathise with people in trouble and am happy to help anyone.

16. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

Can be a necessity, when I temp I need my mobile to get work, agency tells client they have someone available and will confirm availability asap then they call the first person on their list and if that person doesn't answer they'll call the second person. I didn't bother with a mobile for years but when I started temping I lost work without one

17. LesleySM

This time of year my soup maker comes out, great for leftovers. Did a smoked haddock, leek and potato soup for dinner yesterday

Roger Hicks and Catriona like this.
  18. LesleySM

My local church has a food bank and when I can afford it I give them a few bits although I tend to give them things like pet food, toiletries and certain female hygiene products, which they say they always need

19. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I don't want to see people running food banks and giving charity. I want to see us distributing the massive wealth of this country fairly. We're 50 years overdue to stamp out poverty and homelessness but what does this government want to do? Universal Credit - which won't be universal and the only credit involved will be the loan sharks' dunning. We all know what needs to be done but we don't do it. What does that tell us about ourselves? :(

20. IvorCamera

[QUOTE="Catriona, post:.....I've been poor. I've lived on next to nothing when I left home at 15 years old ..........[/QUOTE]

Strange, I left home when I was 15 too! I came from a very poor family and indeed I still do, my dad was in the army fighting a war, I was entitled to free dinners but my mother was so proud she would not let me have them, I will never forget the 2 separate lines one for free, and one for paid dinners, mind you some kids in the free line could afford to pay! I always had a meal when I got home from school, boiled potatoes, cabbage, rabbit, we had lots of rabbit, and sometimes fish, i would have poridge before school, to this day I hate fast food take always! We grew our own vegetables, Inc. lettuce and tomatoes......

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019 at 12:13 AM
    Catriona likes this.