1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

We could treat the EU elections as a referendum.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Learning, Apr 24, 2019.

1. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

why can't they throw tomatoes at him...… still in the tin of course

peterba and Catriona like this.
  2. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

I completely agree, Nige. It's utterly unnacceptable when prominent defenders of democracy are subjected to such appalling treatment. Fortunately, that f***ing little s*** isn't one of those, so we can all have a good laugh. ;)

Zou likes this.
  3. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

We need to bear in mind that, unlike almost all other international borders, the Irish border cuts through farms, factories, and buildings in general. There are places where, for example, the kitchen is in the Republic and the dining room in the north etc. I would also suspect that all but the most diehard DUP voter has nowadays absolutely no problem about delivering their milk, for example, to a dairy in the Republic and vice versa. And of course, the GFA is an internationally recognised and accepted treaty and any attempt to tamper with it will bring down the wrath of the USA on any british government that tries it.

Lynn

4. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

If only this had been the photo

3500.jpg

5. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

Looks like he is being arrested..... a foreshadowing of things to come.?

Graeme...

6. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

The empty carton was left on the street. The thrower of the carton should be charged as a litter lout. Ripe tomatoes and very over-ripe eggs are traditional pretty harmless missiles of political protest and in the evening then the local rats will deal with the mess. As far as I know rats will lick a carton clean but not eat the carton. I cannot think of any politician, even one that I support, who would not bejustly humbled by an egging. It is just part of the course.

7. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

The really interesting thing was report last night on the march of the far right all over Europe. There is a very real possibility the next EP will have a sizeable body of eurosceptics bent on reforming it and limiting powers. If that happens, I wonder if Farage will become a staunch remainer? We might leave just as EU changes all the things we're leaving for. Whatever they might be, of course.

But this is not a parochial issue about austerity, the North vs South, Etonians, immigration, etc, it is a cyclical tidal shift. See my post on that, it is real.

8. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

spinno likes this.
  9. miked

miked Well-Known Member

Probably not, as I can't remember neo-Nazis and neo-Fascists ever being keen on ensuring true democracy and the rights of citizens. The likelihood of changing the grossly undemocratic structure of the EU - with its undemocratic Commissioners and its grievously excessive pay and allowances for MEP's will continue until and unless there is an outbreak of real democratic change.

Zou and Catriona like this.
  10. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Undemocratic? No, it doesn't appear any more undemocratic than any other government. The Commission proposes, but the Council and Parliament must approve any proposals. The Commission is therefore not really much different from the higher echelons of the UK Civil Service.

https://ukandeu.ac.uk/explainers/the-european-union-the-institutional-system-explained/

S

ps the EU is a damn sight more democratic than anything the Leavers would like to put in its place.

Trannifan likes this.
  11. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

I don't know how many options you've got to choose from but I have one vote and there are 41 parties and political groups on the form. Eeny-meeny-mo.................

Lynn

12. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

The only true democracy is where the citizens take the time to decide on proposed laws and actions. If you tell the majority often enough that they're not fit to do this they will believe you and you can get yourself elected to a "representative" body (which is of course nothing of the kind).

Catriona likes this.
  13. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

Didn’t we try a bit of democracy a couple of years ago?

14. Andrew Flannigan

Yes and disagree as I did with the decision it was at least democracy in action.

15. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Nt that is in evidence much now, having listened to some of TM's speech today.

16. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Yes, and having tried it once vowed never again :(:mad:.

17. Andrew Flannigan

There we go. So who do you want to appoint as dictator for life?

18. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Me. I promise to leave you all alone. ;)

daft_biker and Catriona like this.
  19. miked

miked Well-Known Member

Oooh, now let's see: doesn't, "Generalissimo Farage" have some kind of mental authoritative ring to it?:eek:

20. Andrew Flannigan

Yes. We really, really do believe you.... :eek: