1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

We could treat the EU elections as a referendum.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Learning, Apr 24, 2019.

1. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

because he can:p
    probably to make sure they've given his candidate the correct number of vote

2. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

No! I have only received Green, Change UK, Brexit Party and Labour communications and I don't think any of them mentioned a candidate by name.

3. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

So how do you (or anyone else who has received all the bumph and still has no idea who the people are) plan to vote for the person, not policy or party?

4. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

I suspect that the European elections in this country have been some form of protest vote against either the ruling party or even in extremis Europe (or rather the perceived little Englander/Britisher view)...see how UKIP came to prominence

5. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

With considerable difficulty. Which makes using the poll as a referendum even less reliable.

6. RovingMike

But that's completely inverted logic. If people can't vote for the people and can only vote for the party or policy, surely that is the intention of the referendum?

Do your opinions on Brexit change according to who you are offered as MEPs?

I think you might be in a minority of one there.

7. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

The list of candidates was on the BBC news app the other day, FWIW. I didn't know any of them personally and would have to do more research on the individuals although I was hoping some kind journalists would do it for me and I could just read all about it.

8. RovingMike

But they didn't and won't, because people are not remotely interested in voting for the person, rather than policy and / or party. So the question remains, who changes their vote according to the candidates they are offered? I suspect no-one.

9. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

I agree but at the same time I changed the way I voted based on having worked with a candidate in a general election. It doesn't hurt to know what they are about.

10. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Have you got any evidence of that? I imagine that a lot of people would vote against certain people so presumably many would vote for people who impressed them. Perhaps not so much in the MEP elections because of the huge geographical areas.

11. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

As I see it, in the MEP election, given that it's a PR vote, what you're really voting for is a party list, not so much specific individuals.

Lynn

12. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

That is certainly my understanding - you vote for a party, but the party decides who is on their list.

daft_biker likes this.
  13. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Well, my six pieces of mail today went straight in the recycle bin. Most useful they will be!

Zou likes this.
  14. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Our lie sheet from the Brectum Party went back in the post box labelled "unsolicited mail: return to sender".

I wouldn't defile my faeces by wiping my backside with it.

Adrian

Catriona likes this.
  15. RovingMike

Well there is heaps of evidence that most don't even know who their MP is: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-22555659

But when it comes to the leader, then yes the floaters who are less tribally attached choose the personality and that can swing everything. So Farage can get votes for being a big faker, Corbyn for being a bit of a loony, ditto Johnson. May loses them for being boring and any bald ones are unelectable.

16. Catriona

The power of the media? Empty heads waiting to be told? Thinking too hard? No thinking beyond their own boundaries?

Me? Fed up. Tired. Scared. Old. Weary.

Who do I vote for?

17. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

https://www.remainunited.org/be-tactical/

SNP for you, Plaid for me, LibDem for the English

S

Catriona likes this.
  18. Catriona

steveandthedogs likes this.
  19. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

SNP appeared to get very short shrift from the audience in Question Time last night. Even Ms. Bruce had to give the impression of BBC 'balance' by telling us that the audience contained lots of SNP supporters. One would not have thought so.

MickLL

20. Catriona

Perhaps we are just quietly dismissive.