1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

We could treat the EU elections as a referendum.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Learning, Apr 24, 2019.

1. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I'd believe it.
    I've never seen the Commons so empty when TM is in there. I think mainly Tories.

2. Catriona

Listening to TM I'm reminded of how, when my uncle Ian was a boy and learning to play the bagpipes, he became known as the lad with one tune.
    The difference is, he became an expert piper and much admired, even bringing in the year 2000 in his 90s by playing the pipes for his fellow oldies where he lived.
    Unfortunately TM will not expand her repertoire as Ian did.

Terrywoodenpic, peterba and Zou like this.
  3. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

Incompetence, combined with intransigence, IMO.

If it really IS cunning, then she surely must have a potential career as an actor.

steveandthedogs likes this.
  4. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

It's becoming all too obvious that TM wants to go down in history as being the PM who had a bigger impact on the UK than Maggie Thatcher and Winston Churchill ....

5. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

Don’t they all

Zou likes this.
  6. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Well, excluding Cons and Lab voters and who the F knows what they want apart from to follow habit, Remain is a couple of % ahead at the moment, according to latest polls. But the Remain vote is far more split, so should give Leave party a lot of seats.

7. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

If we've learnt one thing in the course of the years it's that polls should to be taken with a pinch of salt................sometimes small, sometimes large!

Lynn

8. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Well, I have placed my cross as far from the Milky Shake Kid (Milky Shakes are on me!) as I possibly can. Who knows what will happen now, as we have all manner of candidates including Kippers and the UK European Union Party to split the various votes.

Adrian

peterba and steveandthedogs like this.
  9. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Mine will be Plaid-the only party in Wales with a chance of beating Fartage’s bunch of mini-fascists.

S

peterba and Catriona like this.
  10. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

I suppose Farage is probably feeling relieved that people aren't throwing shoes at him..... In 2013, people throughout Taiwan donated their old shoes so that they could be thrown at the Ma Ying-jeou administration and the ruling party KMT.

peterba, Zou and Catriona like this.
  11. Catriona

I'm all for the SN(i)P! Ha!

peterba likes this.
  12. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

There's an idea! Of course I'd have to go trampling in a dog poo bin first.

Adrian

13. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Local polling station folk said turnout is looking poor. :(

14. Catriona

Can we assume that if 30% turn out to vote, then 70% couldn't give a monkeys? Indicative of another referendum result? Not that we will ever get the 'right' questions anyway even if we get a second referendum.

15. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

The one labour rep outside was guessing 35% and one of the staff inside, who I used to sell ham and mince to, just said it had been shite.

Catriona likes this.
  16. Catriona

Well my guess is:
    Scotland - majority SNP
    rUK - Brexit party (Company) the biggest, then LibDems, Plaid and Greens.
    Many spoiled papers.

A nightmare to count. I used to do that - loved the buzz! Then ours got sent away to the mainland for counting. Boring and slower!

17. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Would another referendum get a decent turnout?

18. RovingMike

Not surprised. It can only interest the most ardent Brexiters, or Remainers.

But Tory meltdown has ensured a No Deal leaver in No10 by July. The good folk of this realm had the chance to send a message in this meaningless election, but only one I fear that will come out is "Just do as you please". Democracy inaction.

19. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I've thought about volunteering to count, but mainly so I can see what people have done to spoil their ballots. Phalluses aside, did you see any good ones? At some point I may complete the ballot with a "good guy/w*nk" style assessment. In theory so long as it is clear who you selected (just one good guy) the vote would be accepted.

20. RovingMike

Probably not. The issues are too remote for most people. No silver bullet message like "Labour's Tax bombshell"..... From eye, straight to pocket, via brain. Magic.