1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

We could treat the EU elections as a referendum.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Learning, Apr 24, 2019.

1. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

To be fair statistically there's a 50% chance I'm lying, but why would I? :cool:

Catriona likes this.
  2. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Possibly a bit immature of me but my postal voting form went straight in the shredder.
    Is there really any point when I haven't a clue as to what, why or who I'd be voting for..??

3. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I hope that you go to the actual voting booth. It is everyone's duty to try and pick the least bad option to represent us in Europe. Brexit may go on for years. The people that we elect to the EU may well earn some very nice pensions.

4. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

...or do feck all and still get a fat pension for it at taxpayers expense? Mentioning no names, Milky Shake Kid...

steveandthedogs, Zou and peterba like this.
  5. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

It shows how bad it is when I don't even know the least bad option....

6. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

It would actually have been better if he had done "feck all". :mad: Unfortunately, he did plenty - none of it good.

steveandthedogs likes this.
  7. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

The only flyers I have had for the North West region have been from UKIP , Tommy Robinson and The Brexit Party. I had to do an internet search to find out who else is standing. You would have thought the remain parties would have put in a bit more effort!

My apologies, just noticed one from The Green Party

8. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Can anyone explain how voting for MEPs will get another EU referendum through the house of commons?

Also, anybody else see that film about a diver who goes under salmon farms in Scottish sea lochs the other day? Voting for more of that is not strategic.

Zou likes this.
  9. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

I am in the North west and have had several Lib dem and green notices but only one Brexit. And nothing from the others.
    But we have had quite enough discussion on media and TV to be able to learn about the issues.
    I am sure no election has ever been so polarised on a single issue before. Both Lib Dems and Greens are majoring on remain.
    And as the Remain front runner The Lib dems will have my votes.
    If a few more Tories and Labour switch to them they could win three of the four possible seats but two is more likely.

steveandthedogs likes this.
  10. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Similar here in the Midlands, just UKIP and Brexit Party.

Since I reached voting age 50 years ago I've only failed to vote in any election a handful of times and only then with good reason. Since I signed for a postal vote I've never failed...... Until now

This time I have a perfectly good reason..... What's the point...??

As dream_police says, if the remain and major parties can't be arsed, then why should I...??

11. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

How will electing MEPs change the minds of MPs?

I don't think it is a vote for leave or remain although it is a vote to avoid wasting taxpayer money on jobs for useless troublemakers.

12. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

steveandthedogs, peterba and Catriona like this.
  13. peterba

Are you familiar with the quotation "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing"?

I can see why many see these elections as unpalatable, in many ways. However, in the current circumstances, I think that sitting on your hands is simply to send a message to the extremists that they have carte blanche.

14. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Wise words but how many are wise enough to understand them? :(

15. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

But in voting would l be voting for evil or against evil?

I really don't know if me voting [or not] would achieve anything [or not].

Zou likes this.
  16. peterba

For me (and YMMV, of course) I'm voting against - rather than for - something.

I'm fairly unimpressed with most of the available options, but one thing about which I'm absolutely clear is that the Farage 'axis' must NOT be allowed to sneak into power, through apathy among decent people.

17. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

It's pretty damning of democracy when it's reduced to damage limitation rather than something meaningful.

18. peterba

I agree, Zou - I wish it weren't so. However, it's the sad reality of the situation in which we find ourselves. :(

Terrywoodenpic likes this.
  19. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I'm half listening to the House of Commons at the moment. It's a total farce. TM is a loser.

Terrywoodenpic likes this.
  20. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

She voted remain so has it all been part of a cunning plan I wonder.