1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Walking Boots

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by daft_biker, Nov 3, 2017.

1. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Aye, neglect did them no favours I'm sure. Feel free to rub it in:rolleyes::D

I have beeswax but should I polish the new ones too?

2. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Alt berg recommend light use of wax, as it softens the leather.
    The one big thing is to use, as you do, a natural wax instead of the kiwi polish type, which just eats away at the leather as it is petrol based.
    They also have an interesting take on gore tex etc, which is that if you will immerse your boots, in streams etc, do NOT use gore tex as the boots can never properly dry.

3. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

That's why I prefer multiple gods -- or, technically, "awareness-beings".

The human reproductive system is good to begin with, but it soon becomes clear that He didn't really think it through.

Cheers,

R.

4. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Why Bees wax? I have used Nicwax on my boots for many years and it is much easier on the boots and the elbows being as it melts at just above blood heat and is readily absorbed. Dubbin is to be avoided as it can cause the leather to stretch and become floppy. Neatsfoot oil is good for softening areas that chafe.

It seems my heavier boots are Scarpa and I don't recall ever having any problems with grip.

5. IvorCamera

IvorCamera Well-Known Member

Goose fat.....

daft_biker likes this.
  6. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

are these any good

or these

daft_biker likes this.
  7. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

I'll have a look at Nicwax, ta:)

Why I have beeswax is probably more to do with what was in front of me in the shop or an assistant's suggestion rather than a considered purchase.

I've had a look at those boots the squaddies wear and the leather looks too thin and soft and results in a boot that doesn't look as stiff as I'd like. Nice, comfy looking boots....wouldn't mind a pair but not to replace my heavy Scarpas. Out of the brands discussed Scarpa seems amongst the more ethical brands but I don't know why......or why Helly Hansen got a really bad score:eek: Might do some research there too and see if Scarpa are more like the Meile of boots;):D

8. Roger Hicks

My God, they were certainly more than stiff enough 50 years ago.

Then again, so was I.

Things change.

Cheers,

R.

9. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

How easy would it be to drive a modern vehicle with a manual gearbox in those old boots?

The lack of feel when driving and the size of my old boots made them a bit sketchy for driving a manual and is why they often got left in the car between walks. In the auto I don't feel the need to change into shoes.

10. Roger Hicks

Dear Andrew,

Very easy. Why wouldn't it be?

Cheers,

R.

11. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

There is a difference between a Saab 9-5 clutch and a Land Rover clutch, the former wasn't designed for use with boots on, the latter was and has the giant clutch pedal to prove it.

12. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

I drive a Berlingo in boots. No problem.

S

13. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

The local squaddies don't seem to change their boots to get in their cars which indicates they are not that sturdy to me.

My steel toe cap work boots are fine for driving in but my hiking boots not so much.

It's not that I can't drive in them but it's a compromise and boots I'm more comfortable driving in are a compromise when walking.

14. AndyTake2

Squaddies actually get a choice of boots now.
    Apart from the differing climate boots (desert/temperate) there are I think a choice of two brands depending on need.
    There was a competition to whittle the choices down a hole back, which is why troops can now wear alt-bergs and meindl.

The alt berg defenders can be used in the car, but aren't ideal. They certainly aren't as stiff as hill walking boots with a wossname- shank, that's it in the sole. They do make such mountain boots, as do Meindl in the high boot style. Lowa and haglof

daft_biker likes this.
  15. AndyTake2

looks like that post got screwed up - was sent via the ipad, so it looks like it copied and pasted and basically acted as if it was the morning:confused:

16. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

trodden underfoot perhaps:rolleyes:

AndyTake2 likes this.
  17. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I think that one needs to be kicked into the long grass :cool:

18. Roger Hicks

Dear Geoff,

No problem with a Peugeot 309.

Cheers,

R.

19. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

To be fair Roger it depends on the boots. My Scarpa boots with a full steel shank would make the 9-5 (as Andrew has) clutch difficult to use but I have driven a Land Rover wearing them. My Brasher boots allow enough flex and feel for the Saab and a regularly drive my current 9-5 (later generation than Andrew's) in Scarpa shoes. With no flexibility in the soles the pedal position in both Saabs makes the action very unnatural.

Roger Hicks likes this.
  20. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Aye, I imagine it's a bit like playing a theramin for all the feel you have.

Wasn't as bad in my car but I've had the toe end of big boots catch the steering column(?) above pedals too.