1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Walking Boots

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by daft_biker, Nov 3, 2017.

1. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Looks like my trusty old Scarpa boots are past their best after, I'm guessing, about 15 years.....

boots-1.jpg

boots-2.jpg

boots-3.jpg

I think those ones were ML55's or something but whatever they were called they were the thick leather model which I think they call 3 season boots because they are a bit toasty in summer. Typical Scottish weather is more the priority so I leaning towards getting the new version of what I had......http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/scarpa-sl-activ-walking-boot-p189921 .

I keep looking at more modern looking materials but can they be trusted to last as long?

And yes, I should have cleaned and waxed the leather more often than I did but in my defence sods law dictates that I will always forget to wax them before a holiday and forget to take wax with me. Hmmmm....maybe I should put a spare can of beeswax in with the camping gear:D

I also suspect the raised peat bog I frequent with my dogs doesn't help as it is acidic. And all the crouching for macro shots puts stress on the leather around the ball of my feet so overall I think they've served me well and if I had bought a lesser boot I'd have wanted to replace them long before now. I think I got them around the time I got extension tubes so they have had a fair bit of use anyway.

Any thoughts?

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I prefer leather ones. The main thing is how stiff to have the sole. My current boots are Brasher and they don't have a steel inset. The lack of stiffness makes them uncomforable on hard ground because I can feel the stones through them. Mind you there isn't much tread left.

3. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

4. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

My last two pairs (AKU) are made of more modern materials. I found them more comfortable than leather and certainly lighter and good for any season. The first pair are 11 years old and are still OK but suffered when I used them in salt water.

Some of the outdoor clothing retailers carry a vast range of boots and have "experts" who will help and probably blind you with science.

Very personal choice a pair of boots.

5. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Don't forget that some retailers inflate their prices so that they can honour discounts to various clubs, societies and organisations. If you buy much outdoor stuff then it might well pay to join the Ramblers, or a BMC affilated club for that reason alone. Having joined you might also find even better social reasons for having joined.

6. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I have a pair of Brasher light weight boost that I have had for well over 20 years, leather and GorTex. I also have a pair of fully stiffened leather boots that are nearer 30 years old and still good, but not used much except in the winter.

Good excuse to get down to the Lake District and have a browse in Fishers of Keswick for new boots.

7. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Wore out 2 pairs Brashers (soles). Would have bought a third pair but by then the quality had gone through the floor.

One pair of Mephistos. Never again. They are the Mieles of boots: a large premium for at best a tiny increase in quality, and possibly no increase at all.

Two pairs Scarpa so far; probably Scarpas next time too.

Bear in mind that these are my normal shoes, worn if not every day, then at least half the time I leave the house.

Cheers,

R.

ascu75 likes this.
  8. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

Hiking around the swedish mountains (aka 'Lappland') convinced me to 'go native' and invest in Tretorn wellies(green) - wading through ice-cold streams, along flooded trails and squelching across soggy bogs became soooo much easier and pleasanter! I also took them to Skye and this enabled me to get waterfall shots that the other photo-holiday participants couldn't! I'm onto my second pair now but, 17 years on, they've developed a few splits. However, they're still first choice for plodding around the local forest in autumn and winter, especially where the forestry workers with their heavy plant have ploughed up trails which, after rain, turn into quagmires. I've got a pair of 'normal' Meindl hiking boots as well. I had a pair of Scarpas long, long ago - they went the way of old leather.

Lynn

9. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

Leather is a great material if used properly.
    I have a pair of Alt-Bergs and would buy those again, although I think I would try eBay or something similar as they are military spec,and often sold off by troops who no longer need them. The price is a bit steep, but they are good, British made, and if you really want to go to town, it's possible to get custom made ones (but kiss goodbye to a grand)

10. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

I think with walking boots it's horses for courses. There's not one perfect boot.
    For our annual rambles in the Alps I my present boots are Berghaus lightweight leather.
    For Snowdonia and the Lakes it's more heavyweight leather Lowa boots.
    Alpine mountain paths are generally much less rocky than British hill paths.

11. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Good stuff, thanks folks. Some suggestions there I'll do some research on:)

They look like they should be good quality but the fit looks odd and ankle support wouldn't appear to be as much of a priority as I'd like.

I used to like Rockport boots for work as they were comfy, light and waterproof but could be worn with smart trousers.....or at least some of them.....http://www.rockport.com/rockport/mens-boot-styles.

The kind of boots I'm after here will feel a bit like ski boots......something for leaping between tufts of grass over stagnant bogs well off the beaten path where a twisted ankle could be a real problem. Tight fitting, stiff and supportive are things I still like about my old boots even if they do occasionally get wet through in a few areas.

Never been able to find a pair of wellies I like walking in unfortunately. Many other locals wear them and they should be a cheaper option but I find they flop about on my feet.....and the paths they take are a doddle. The terrain I like sounds similar to those Swedish mountains:D

12. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I've had my leather Scarpas for three, possibly four years now and I wouldn't change them for the world. I traipsed around several shops trying on different types/styles to find something that would suit my dodgy ankles and these were the only ones that didn't cause me pain when walking! If and when they 'go', I will certainly be hoping to replace with more of the same.

13. Roger Hicks

Have you considered a new career as a bishop? Or perhaps as an actress?

Cheers,

R.

LesleySM, peterba and gray1720 like this.
  14. taxor

taxor Well-Known Member

I've had several pairs of Scarpas over the years and they all performed faultlessly. I couldn't bear to throw my first pair of Bronzo's away after the footbed collapsed and they now reside in my loft, a cosy home for a couple of big spiders that live up there.The Brasher boots I bought were bloody awful (the sole peeled away from the upper) but maybe they've fixed that now. The SL Activs are fantastic - very comfortable and light for such a sturdy boot plus crampon compatible 'n all.

15. miked

miked Well-Known Member

Leather for me, but must have Vibram soles - I have a very heavy tread.

16. miked

miked Well-Known Member

Or a Spad??

17. AndyTake2

AndyTake2 Well-Known Member

daft_biker likes this.
  18. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I wore a pair of Zamberlan leather walking shoes for around 30 years and although they were still useable I thought it was time for a change. I found a pair of Karrimor boots and after 6 years they have proved so much more comfortable and easier to maintain I'm not sure why I didn't make the change sooner. Of course the Karrimors may not last so well but allowing for inflation they cost me less than half the price of the Zamberlans (which were on sale at the time I bought them). I just found the Zamberlans lurking behind the Karrimors in my wardrobe...

Sony HX90 8GB 01 DSC01110.JPG

19. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

Scarpas sole and rounded heel are only good on the path. Cross country you skite all over the place.

Graeme

20. Roger Hicks

Dear Graeme,

For given values of "path" and "cross country". Mine have worked pretty well in the Himalayas and Pyrenees.

Cheers,

R.

taxor likes this.