1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

W7 Windows Update failure.

Discussion in 'Computer Related Help & Discussion' started by Learning, Dec 4, 2017.

1. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I don't think it is a good idea to fiddle with the problem until MS publish a fix. Users have identified where the problem lies and only MS can fix it.

2. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

I've given up MS updates got fed up with updates crashing Windows, got Win 7 Pro 64 bit SP1, installed from CD then updates disabled no problems since.

3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

In the general scheme of things you should install security updates but looking up knowledge base to see what each update does is a pain. In the past the update failures I have had have generally concerned unused software such as preinstalled but not activated office (especially powerpoint for some reason).

The win10 update this month (adding "features") took forever.

4. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

The error that showed up on Sunday had been waiting for for some time as an expiary date on a .cab file associated with windows update. Anyone using Windows update manually would have seen the fault. Many users would not know about it. A clear summary of the problem is described here https://www.computerworld.com/artic...-for-win7-broken-throwing-error-80248015.html MS have fixed the problem but how they have got the changes onto users' machines without a functioning WindowsUpdate is a mistery to me. I wasted some time before going to the MS forum. It seems tobe working now.

5. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

I had this problem a few weeks ago - Windows 7 had an error installing downloaded updates. I tried restoring W7 from the last 'restore point' (after the previous updates), but the problem remained. After taking expert advice, I eventually had to pay the expert re-install W7 from the CD I got with the PC in February 2013, then re-install Office 2010 from my original CD, and then use his superfast optical fibre broadband (I'm on ancient copper cable) to spend about 15 hours re-installing nearly 5 years of Windows updates, and get the broadband and email working again. Also, re-installing W7 causes the un-installing of many non-Windows software packages, so I had to re-install my Photoshop Elements and and some other stuff from the original CDs.

No cause for the problem was ever found - no virus or malware infection - so corrupt code was suspected, even though I had restored W7 from the last 'restore point' which I was assured usually fixes the problem. Have you tried this?

Total cost about £200 including VAT.

6. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Cheaper to buy W10?

7. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

With hindsight, possibly. But the Adobe website confirmed that my version of Photoshop Elements 7 in not compatible with W10, so I would have to buy (and learn...) a much newer version. There also appears to be some doubt about parts of MS Office 2010 running with W10. And I would have to buy a new A4 scanner.

There is also the usual concern about any MS software - they will be fixing serious bugs for the first 2 or 3 years it is on sale, so I would be wary of buying it yet.

Before retirement I spent over 20 years in IT writing software and then 10 years using stuff written by other people, and consequently I am not an 'early adopter' of any product that is dependant of computer software. This includes digital cameras - camera manufacturers have now begun to sell camera bodies before the software is ready, hence the fashion for 'updates' to fix things they missed in testing (or did not bother to check) before beginning to sell the product. And I have read of camera software 'updates' that fail and leave the camera body useless...

8. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

I understand where you are coming from but I would like to think software is more reliable these days. I am never an early adopter but tend to wait months rather than years. I have never had a problem with W10 and my version of Office was older than 2010. The cynic in my thinks MS make some updates to older operating systems unrealiable but no doubt this is pure fiction.

I tend to download the latest firmware whenever available accepting the risk. I accept that some just fix faults but others provide updated functionality e.g. Fuji.

9. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

This reminds me to look further into making disk image backups, rather than file backups, for my PC in 2018. I had to buy a PC when I retired because I continued to do bits and pieces to help out and it was easier to stick to windows than complicate my mac. I haven't had too much trouble with Win 8.1 on a desktop and Win 10 on a laptop but I see the value of the corporate approach - re-image anything that stops working.

I don't know when MS added the disk image back-up option to Windows. I looked at it a bit last year and I think it is both incremental and compressed. I used a commercial imaging tool for backups at work pre-2008. It was quick and efficient.

For windows problems with updates I came across SFC (system file checker). I'd never heard of it but has been part of Windows for years. It validates and fixes the windows core system files.