1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vulcan XH558 National Tour 10/11 Oct

Discussion in 'Forthcoming Events' started by saxacat, Oct 8, 2015.

1. saxacat

saxacat Well-Known Member

2. Sejanus.Aelianus

Sejanus.Aelianus In the Stop Bath

Caught her at Dawlish. I got plenty of close-ups but this one says it all for me...

:D

[​IMG]

3. saxacat

That is the sort of shot I'm hoping to get.

I've been offered the opportunity to try and get some aerial shots from a friend's aeroplane , but I've decided to stay on the ground, and will try and capture it flying over a local landmark.

Lots of variables, the Vulcan's route, the time of day and of course the weather, but if I'm lucky, it should make a nice shot.

4. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Saw her displaying over The Hamptons (at Herne Bay) in mid-August. The old girl was a bit restrained compared to other times I've seen her flying. Still made some noise, though. :)

5. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Heard it earlier (came over East Fortune) but didn't see it. Oh well.

6. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

A friend f mine hitched a lift from Aden to Heathrow in one Vulcan (must have been late 1956 or early 1957) but died when it crashed. It rather put me off the aircraft.

7. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

The Hamptons? Blimey - that brings back memories! Our student digs were halfway down the slope between the Western Esplanade and the beach, opposite what was then the Hotel St George, where Ridgeway Cliff meets the esplanade. Many a happy day spent mudlarking round the Hamptons!

Adrian

8. Sejanus.Aelianus

Sejanus.Aelianus In the Stop Bath

My one-time guardian was a navigator on Vulcans.

Apart from the questions of whether they could get through Soviet defences and then pull away fast enough to survive their own blast, there was also the little matter of getting out in an "ordinary" emergency. The pilots were OK, having ejector seats. The rest of the crew had to get out through a hole in the floor, which wasn't an attractive prospect.

[​IMG]

9. saxacat

Unfortunately it was a bit of a disappointment at my location. The weather wasn't brilliant, rather hazy. The planned route had it flying over the town, but in the end it flew over the eastern edge (it was stated on their website that they might not fly exactly to the advertised route). I had hoped to get a shot of it over Alnwick Castle, but it wasn't close enough in the end.

However, here's one I prepared earlier, taken during its pass over RAF Boulmer earlier this year.

[​IMG]DSC_2746 by Eddie Conway, on Flickr