1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Virgin media TV box .... Grrr!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Footloose, Aug 11, 2018 at 12:16 PM.

1. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

I have Virgin media's TV and broadband, but it's the former which is driving me nuts, 'upgrading' from the Tivo to V6 box. My TV - a Toshiba - has the usual oblong 20-pin SCART connector, BUT Virgin media in it's infinite 'wisdom' :rolleyes: does NOT use this but rather what looks like a 10mm diameter 9-pin connector, though the box does have an HDMI port. The box does NOT come with an adaptor from Virgin's 9-pin to the usual 20-pin connector used on my TV. I also get the impression from Virgin's Community forums, that this weird 9-pin doesn't work anyway! Contacting VM is utter misery and going into one of their stores and talking to their staff, results in no straight answer, - Contact our customer service dept and they will help you! Grrrr!

So, if any of you use this box, how have you connected it up to your TV? I'm guessing that I use the HDMI cable, but is that the case. I just want a YES or NO, answer, as to if this is ok.

2. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Yes.

3. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

Yes

4. Footloose

Thanks you two!

5. Roger_Provins

Is that 20 pin the only connector on your TV or have I misunderstood?

6. Footloose

No, The TV has 2x of these 20-pin connectors, but the v6 box doesn't have/use one, hence why I was asking if I could use the HDMI connectors on the Toshiba TV and Virgin TV v6 box instead.

7. Bazarchie

No doubt I a being thick, but does your TV have an HDMI socket?

8. Roger_Provins

I forget the exact details (it's a while ago now) but I had to get a cable - from cablesuk.co.uk I think.

9. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

I have both a Tivo box and a V6 box. Both connect to the televisions {Hitachi & Panasonic] via HDMI cables. Simple & straightforward.

10. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I would be rather surprised if any late model TV boxes used SCART instead of HDMI.

The only thing we still use that uses SCART is our old combi DVD/VHS machine. I don't miss it.

11. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

I always thought the SCART was an appalling connection system. My recent Panasonic TV doesn't actually have a SCART socket.

12. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Quite. I found that the cables had an unerring knack of working loose over time. Stupid design. HDMI cables stay connected unless you yank on them.

13. Roy5051

Roy5051 Well-Known Member

This seems like a non-question. If your tv's both have HDMI sockets, why would you want to use a slow scart connection, which went out with the ark? I.e. HDMI is modern, as is the V6 box, scart is oldfashioned, so why would you expect a modern bit of kit to have an old type of connector, which is slow anyway? Even the older TiVo box has hdmi.

14. Footloose

I am currently using an analogue Sony Trinitron, which just has SCARTs, can't see why I have to bin a perfectly good TV, especially as the Toshiba I'm going to be replacing it with next month, has SCARTS on it. - so, the old-fashioned SCART connections are still being fitted to TVs so why do I get the response from some people (not here I must add!) that SCART leads aren't fitted on modern TVs. Looks like I will have to make that TV changeover sooner than expected. Maybe I'm just an 'Old Fogger' who prefers to continue using things until they pack up, much to the annoyance of hardware and software manufacturers - Wordperfect 3.1 and Lotus 123, being prime examples since they still have more functionality than I'm ever going to need, but less of the 'bells and whistles'! No, I gave up using both of these decades ago!

15. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

^The quality of the picture has improved immensely on more modern TV sets, even over the last five years, old analogue sets perfectly good? Compare that old Sony with even a cheap modern TV set and you are unlikely to want the old set any more.

16. Bazarchie

17. Roy5051

Roy5051 Well-Known Member

18. Footloose

Problems solved by 'More' carefully looking at the back of the other units .... Ho Hum! - There's HDMI's as well as SCART, but from the awkward angle I was looking at these units, (Have all the stuff on a rack in a corner) I didn't spot the HDMI's !!!!

19. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Is there anywhere to put your betamax tape in it?

20. Bazarchie

So this is all a waste of time?!