1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vintage light meter query

Discussion in 'Other Brands & Accessories' started by Gibson67, Sep 7, 2019.

1. Gibson67

Gibson67 Active Member

Hi all

I recently acquired an old Russian made Leningrad 8 light meter, that a kind seller included with a camera I bought from him. I would like to use this rather than tossing it into a drawer to be forgotten about. The meter appears to be working but is missing the opal glass diffuser. My question is would using the meter without this give me false readings resulting in under/over exposure shots?

Nige

diffuser

2. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

The diffuser is only used for incident light measurements - you can still use the meter for direct light measurement.

3. Gibson67

Gibson67 Active Member

Thank you for that, nice to know it will be of use

4. swanseadave

swanseadave Well-Known Member

I acquired a Leningrad in the same way when I bought a Zorki 4 from Ebay.It seems to be accurate judging by comparison
    with my other cameras.The diffuser was with it too.

5. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

You could use a bit of ground glass.
    However the one I had was not accurate from new.
    There was a difference of 2\3rds of a stop between a high and low reading. With no way to adjust it. so I never bothered with it.

6. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

You may find this page of some use http://cameras.alfredklomp.com/leningrad8/manual/ it appears that the meter uses a Selenium cell (photovoltaic) I can't remember what the limitation are but Google should help. The Weston Euromaster 11 uses a Selenium cell and is well respected so there is no reason to expect the Leningrad 8 to be any less effective. I would however compare it to a modern electronic meter before trusting it as you never know what may have happened to it.

7. Terrywoodenpic

Lada's and Rolls Royce's both Run on petrol but that is where the similarity ends.

There is a lot more to a selenium meter than selenium.

8. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

Actually, there isn't very much, a Selenium cell and a galvanometer are the major components with some resistors to change the range etc. It is the kind of thing one might ask an instrument maker apprentice to build, from scratch.

9. Terrywoodenpic

I have used selenium meters since the 40's some are far more accurate than others.

10. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

No question as to that, however the basics of a Selenium meter are very simple, the difficulty is in making a galvanometer movement with sufficient linearity and sensitivity that doesn't break if you move it suddenly. It is more a matter of precision engineering than electronics though. The Leningrad is likely to be less precise than is the Weston but probably more rugged.