1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vigorous Voigtlanders!

Discussion in 'Classic Models & Marques' started by gray1720, Sep 2, 2017.

1. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

I recently picked these two little beauties up for £15 the pair at a car boot sale - the first I've been two in ages, and there were a good few camers on sale, some quite interesting, but space and cash were limited...

This is a Vito II with a real quality feel - the heft of a Zenit at about a quarter of the size, it's tiny. Maybe Trip 35 sized?

[​IMG]Voigtlander Vito II by gray1720, on Flickr

But the one I got really excited about is the lovey pre-WW2 Bessa which set me back a whole plastic meat-laden fiver. The Bessa name was used for all manner of cameras and this isn't a particularly high spec one - no rangefinder for example - but it's got a rim-set Compur shutter going up to 1/250th and an f4.5 anastigmat lens which were both pretty decent by the standards of the day, and lots of lovely period ouches like the pop-up viewfinder under a cover to stop it getting snagged on your case. What has really got my gusset in a knot is the shutter release (I know - I need to get out more!). It's a little chrome trigger that pops out when you open the camera and it is perfectly placed and weighted for a really crisp action. No wobbling, no fumbling for it. Given that my other 1930s folders have shutter releases that were apparently added as afterthoughts, certainly they are deeply unergonomic, I think this is one of the nicest releases I've ever come across on ANY camera!

[​IMG]Voigtlander Bessa by gray1720, on Flickr

When I get a mo (ha ha!) I may have to do a proper write-up on this one!

Adrian

steveandthedogs likes this.
  2. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

£15? Jammy beggar!

S

3. gray1720

That was my thought when I got the Vito, so I was well chuffed when I got the Bessa for a fiver - there was a chap with a number of nice cameras (Braun Paxette, Ricoh Auto 35 amongst them) but as he wanted £15 for a Retinette 1A I didn't ask the prices!

It's a while sincce I've even been to a car boot, so I was quite surprised by the number of older cameras at this one - mostly somewhat ratty, but with at least a couple of gems!

Adrian

4. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

A "lovey pre-WW2 Bessa", eh? SO, which famous actor previously owned it? ;)

Why are other people's typos so much more interesting than mine, eh?

5. gray1720

Argh, what's annoying is my spelling is good it's just my triping that's rubbish!

Adrian

steveandthedogs and SXH like this.
  6. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

I've had a Vito II (50mm F/3.5 Color Skopar) since about 1960 which I bought from R G Lewis in Cambridge for £12 - always assuming that my memory is correct. A week later I bought the Leitz 5cm bright-line viewfinder from the same shop, and I'm convinced that the two items had been together when the Vito was traded in - my Vito II had the push-on accessory shoe which took the viewfinder, and made the Vito usable. Great little camera, with a decent lens covering the width of the negative.

7. gray1720

Ah yes, my other Vito II has that push on shoe - makes rather a mess of the top plate!

Adrian