1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Videos of 35mm SLR cameras

Discussion in 'Classic Models & Marques' started by chris seary, Dec 21, 2018.

1. chris seary

chris seary Member

I collect equipment, and my favourite genre is 35mm SLRs from the 1970s/early 80s. Most of them work quite well, and Portra 160 is my go to film.

I've started making videos covering some of the ones in my collection, and wondered if anyone would find them useful. Mostly Nikon and Minolta, but I've got some Olympus and Pentax kit as well.

Would appreciate any comments.

2. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

Hi there - I collect SLRs, as well, but most of mine are from the 1950s and 60s - mainly M42 mount gear, but with a few lens shutter models (Contaflex, Agfaflex).

3. PeteE

PeteE Well-Known Member

On your Film Loading Demo on the EM you pulled out far too much 'Expensive Film' leader ! I pull out the 'Minimum' and press with thumb onto film near cassette as i wind across to tension, then you can shoot only ONE frame with back closed and never mind the counter is not showing '1' -- you will get 27 out of a 24 exposure and 39 out if a 36 exposure film !

4. chris seary

chris seary Member

Thank you, that was well spotted! I never used to wind on a frame with the back open in my film days.

I'm a little torn between the simplest, most foolproof way to load film, and the most cost-efficient.

I envisage people looking at these videos to be beginners to film photography, so thought that the way I showed it would end up with the least disappointment at the end of the day. It's really disheartening to start rewinding a film, find it's gone all the way back into the cassette with one turn because it never caught onto the sprockets properly, and then wonder what to do with the unexposed cartridge sans leader!

I may do another video mentioning how to get the extra frame.

5. chris seary

chris seary Member

My first 35mm SLR was the Praktica PL Nova 1. I managed to get a copy on eBay, and am planning to make a video covering it.

John Farrell likes this.
  6. chris seary

chris seary Member

Many thanks for the comments. Here's another, of the Minolta XG2

7. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

When loading a 35mm (generally)...
    1. Open back
    2. Ensure shutter has been released
    3. Pull out minimum of leader to reach hook system and push it in until it catches
    4. Wind on 1st frame ensuring that film is being pulled out of cassette
    5. Release shutter
    6. Close back
    7. Gently back tension the rewind knob until it sticks
    8. Wind on 1 frame while confirming that rewind is turning with the winding action
    9. Release shutter
    10. Wind on 1 more frame while confirming that rewind is turning with the winding action
    You are now ready to take the 1st shot.

8. chris seary

chris seary Member

Just did another on the Nikon F60.

9. chris seary

chris seary Member

Nikon Series E prime lenses