1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Videos getting cut short

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by daft_biker, Apr 12, 2019.

1. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Was trying to use my Sony WX10 to shoot video yesterday.....

I formatted the card, first video seemed to go OK other than camera position, second video stopped recording at exactly 2 minutes and then the third video was less than 30 seconds.

At the bottom of the hill I reviewed the footage and decided to set the camera recording whilst I was shoving the bike back up the hill and when I checked that after almost 7 minutes of recording it was fine other than there were no bars left showing on the battery indicator. Then again I had left the camera swinging by the strap so that the focus and stabilisation systems would be working and the footage would be busy to see if that would recreate the problem.

I reckon I'll take the card out the camera and try formatting it in my PC to see if any bad blocks show up, give the battery a good charge and then try again. Any other suggestions? The camera is now quite old and it is the original battery, FWIW.

Still seems to work fine for photos:)

2. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

It's rare for me to compliment Rochdale Council, but they certainly keep the cycle paths in far better condition around here!

Cheers, Jeff

PS - If I were to take such a video it wouldn't need to be very long - just long enough to show me riding straight into the first tree!

Catriona and daft_biker like this.
  3. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I reckon they wish that they’d done a recce before using this trail. Their video camera seems to work at least.

AndyTake2, El_Sid, daft_biker and 2 others like this.
  4. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

That one is a classic:D

.....the kind of riders you don't go to Skye with!

5. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Is your card speed adequate?

6. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

That looked like a set of steps - as if that was a footpath - rather than something dedicated to bikes.

7. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Yeah it does. Good job there wasn't any pedestrians out for a walk.

8. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Yes, just! It is only a class 4 SDHC 4GB though....bought with the camera many moons ago.

How many footpaths have you seen with large drops onto landing ramps?!:) I think what you saw as steps are just tree roots exposed by bikes skidding over them.

9. PeteRob

I'd never heard of a landing ramp let alone large drops onto one.

I assumed it was a walking route because it was built-up and I couldn't imagine anyone riding a bike on a plank bridge that narrrow.

I can't step it frame by frame on my ipad but it is clear from 16 s that there is something steep heading down to the left and at 17 s the bike passes a sign labelled 3 so presumably this is a marker where they are supposed to slow down for the corner.

10. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Narrow plank bridges, or North Shore trails, are some of my favourites.....this is a really old one....

Trails like that are few and far between these days.....heyday was probably about the turn of the century and the name originates from the North Shore around Vancouver as the fallen trees were too big to move so they built ramps over them.

11. PeteRob

That seems a sensible speed to ride at - but looks a tad narrow!

12. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

One of the corners was known as the impossible corner (at 10s in) because folk would stop and hop the back end round to avoid the back wheel falling off the inside of the corner. The way round it was with the front wheel following the outside edge of the corner. Not fast, not far to fall but a lot of fun.

Tried the camera again today....on a smooth track first...

Then had a different camera fail on the new-ish trail I was wanting to video....

.....I knocked the camera out of position:oops:

And it also decided to stop recording by itself but only just before I was about to stop it anyway. Still, both the compact cameras I've used for videos like this lasted a lot longer than the GoPro I used before them:cool: