1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Video or stills causes most wear to DSLR

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by willie45, Jul 12, 2018.

1. willie45

willie45 Well-Known Member

No 2 in my series of questions actually related to photography.

Will using a DSLR for video cause more wear to the sensor than stills. Or will shutter wear by using the camera for stills cause more wear?

I came across this question a little while back and a debate followed. I'm not sure what the conclusion was but what say you people?

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

This came up in the last week or two in the context of getting a shutter count for Canon cameras. It was reckoned that use in live view did wear the shutter. I don't know why. With film cameras you were supposed not to leave them with the shutter cocked because it stressed the springs. Maybe it is similar.

3. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

I say worry about if you can wear one out before you are open to an excuse for a new camera.

El_Sid likes this.
  4. willie45

Interesting. Thanks for that information. The video thing isn't of practical consequence to me but my curiosity was aroused when I read it somewhere.

5. willie45

Well if I was to buy a new camera it would be a 7Dmk2 to upgrade my old mk1. Having said that I just picked up a Fuji XT-2 used last week and a Canon 100-400L Mk1 is arriving tomorrow, the first photography gear for a long time, so maybe I'm on a roll ;)

daft_biker likes this.
  6. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

Surely the sensor has no moving parts that can wear out? Unlike the mechanical shutter, which is why manufacturers give a life expectancy for shutters. From what I have read in AP, video recording does not use mechanical shutter, but takes the 'live view feed' from the sensor that is 'on' all the time for video recording.

I don't know if any of the electrical components of the sensor and its associated 'support' electronics could fail with increased use.
    If there are any capacitors involved, they might fail first. (On a larger scale, this is a problem with aged hi-fi amplifiers.)

I did a Google search for 'digital video sensor life expectancy' and found and American site about sensors in surveillance satellites that are still working after 20 years of use. The most likely reason for failure was suggested to be overheating due to be prolonged use to record very bright images (like the sun).

Don't forget that 'less is more'. Just because it can be 3 hours long doesn't mean it has to be...
    I've seen some very boring amateur videos.

7. willie45

Hi Chester. Yes I wondered if the heat could cause issues. Pete's point seems interesting though.

Agreed on the subject of amateur videos. Plenty of examples on YouTube.

8. PeteRob

The mechanical shutter has to held open all the time live view or video is happening and the mirror locked up. I'm guessing this is different "wear" on the springs than normal operation.

9. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Aren't mirrors powered rather than sprung these days? Or at least on the likes of the 7D it is iirc .... One of the ways they get the frame rate out of it I gather with springs being used further down the range.

10. PeteRob

I've no idea. The Canon 5 Ds has either a motor or damping device to cut mirror slap. I had a vague thought that with manual SLRs you had to wind on to cock the shutter and lower the mirror and it was considered better to not do this before storing the camera in order to protect the shutter. But then autowinders did this after every shot so the camera was always ready to use and you had no choice. Maybe it's not all done with springs anymore.

11. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

Early SLRs did work that way for example my Bronica 645 but I think that 35 mm SLRs dropped this a long time ago, and before autowinders were invented

12. PeteRob

My Bronica does - may be that's where I got it from. I can't remember how my Minolta's worked. Not sure if I have one anymore.

13. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Auto return mirrors came in in the late 50s, were commonplace in the 60s, and ubiquitous in the 70s on 35mm SLRs.
    Zenith 3M may well have been the last without one in the 35mm world.