1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Vide-Greniers

Discussion in 'Photographic Locations' started by Roger Hicks, Aug 30, 2016.

1. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Vide-greniers aren't exactly a location. Rather, they're a series of locations, and you can find them in most of France. Typically, a village centre closes down for one day a year for a sort of giant car boot sale/ street market/ fair, and the photographic opportunities are wonderful. Here's the most recent piece on my site about them, mixing reportage and street photography and still lifes and more. There's more background to vide-greniers here.

Cheers,

R.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
  2. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

Great article I enjoyed reading it
    and some interesting shots

3. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I liked that Roger. An interesting read.

4. Roger Hicks

Thanks to those who liked it. Has anyone any comparable experiences in the UK? Or indeed in Europe? Flea markets, etc.

Cheers,

R.

5. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

The days of the giant boot fairs seem to be over
    I remember one outside Bradford that covered about ten acres every week.
    had some great finds there.

6. Roger Hicks

Dear Terry,

Perhaps the clue to its disappearance lies in the fact that it was in one place, every week. That's bound to be very different from an annual VG in a village.

Cheers,

R.

7. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

Dear Roger

They hold a similar sort of thing in the Grassmarket in Edinburgh every weekend in August each year, it's a mixture of antique/junk/bric-a-brac, clothes and vinyl LPs/CD stalls. In the past it would stretch the length of the Grassmarket, maybe 400 yards, but has shrunk over the years - some say the council were charging stallholders too much and they weren't making enough for it to be profitable!

Anyway, here's a few photos from this year's market.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Best wishes

Alan

8. Roger Hicks

Dear Alan,

Thanks very much! As a very rough guess, what percentages would you say were professional (full time living from this and other markets); semi-pro (buying stuff to sell, as a supplement to an otherwise steady income); and genuine vide-grenier?

Stall charges for a VG here in La France Profonde tend to range from nothing to a euro or two per linear metre.

I like the first and last pictures best. But then, I usually shoot stuff for sale as still lifes, rather than people, so I'm biased.

Cheers,

R.

9. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

In the past most of the stalls seemed to be taken up by the folk who had antique shops or vintage clothes shops in and around Edinburgh and a few others doing it as a sideline. One stall I used to buy from sold Victorian coloured glass bottles originally for medicine or perfume, the young couple who ran it explained that they'd discovered where 19th century Edinburgh rubbish got dumped and simply went digging! I'd say there's no genuine vide-grenvier's in Edinburgh :(

Cheers

Alan

10. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

No, but I have one of those planes. It was left behind in the old house we have just bought. Whether it belongs to the last occupant (I really doubt it) or has always been with the house I do not know.

plane.jpg

11. Roger Hicks

Dear Alan,

Great story! Thanks again.

Cheers,

R.

12. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

A very interesting read Roger. I have had cause to sell stuff at a local fleamarket recently and had already decided that it was in all likelihood a good starting point for a project...or an extension of an existing project. Would you mind if I used your article as source material for research? I am coming to it from a critical pespective of consumerism and waste so some of your comments are pertinent - very much so in fact. There is also an element of community that I am interested in exploring further. The fleamarket most local to us is frequented by regulars - both buying and selling. In fact on Saturday past, someone came up to us and said they'd noticed that we'd missed a week - they hoped all was well. It felt rather lovely to be included in the community that way. And antoher lady bought a cast-off doll's house from us for her grandchildren when they visit. She coudn't carry it home herself but we agreed to keep it for her, and about an hour later someone I'd never seen before came by and said were we the ones holding back a doll's house for Rita? I looked a bit taken aback but then two vendors on either side of us said "It's alright, that's Reet's neighbour". Off she went!

13. Roger Hicks

Far from minding, I'd be utterly delighted. This is the real, underlying reason why I do the site: to get people to think and (better still) to act. Keep me (and indeed everyone here) apprised of the progress!

Cheers,

R.

Geren likes this.