1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Very tempted - Carl Zeiss Super Ikonta 533/16

Discussion in 'Classic Models & Marques' started by Malcolm_Stewart, Dec 17, 2018.

1. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

Currently, there's a Carl Zeiss Super Ikonta 533/16 (6x6cm) listed on the pages of one of our chain photo retailers, and I was sorely tempted to buy it for an Xmas present to me. I'd bought a 6 x 9cm Super Ikonta before during the time when my main camera was a Minolta SRT 101. What attracted me this time was the same style rotating prism-wedge range finder on the lens standard - rather than the later in-body RF.

Back then, early 1970s, I tried shooting the same scene with both cameras in good sunlight. FP3 in the Super Ikonta, and Kodachrome in the SRT101. Unfortunately, the Kodachrome was so much sharper than what I got from the Super Ikonta which really was fuzzy, I've largely steered clear of 120 film cameras since. With knowledge gained over the years, I'm now guessing that my original 6x9cm Super Ikonta had had its lens disassembled and put back with an element the wrong way round.

(In 120 film, I have had good results from a Rolleicord Vb, and a loaned Hasselblad.)

2. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

1] Can you afford it?
    a: no - buy it, get a loan
    b: yes - buy it

2] Will you regret not buying it?
    a: no - buy it, you never know what your feelings will be in the future
    b: yes - buy it.

S

3. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

When I used folders I found that one source of unsharpness was the film being sucked inwards as I opened the bellows. Opening the camera slowly mitigated the problem. A clean 533/16 is a seriously nice piece of kit IMO :D

4. Malcolm_Stewart

I don't think I had that problem - there were holes in the bellows of the pre-War Ensign Pocket 20 with which I started. Matters improved when I moved to a 6x6cm Dacora with 75mm F/5.6 Subita lens and 3 speed Vario shutter.

5. Malcolm_Stewart

Hmmm. I'm still working out the possibilities ...