1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Very secret trade in offer.

Discussion in 'Nikon Chat' started by Learning, Dec 5, 2018.

1. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Publicity seems to have ceased on trade in offers valid to the middle of January. I wonder why?
    £450 trade in bonus if you buy a D850. All you need is a working DSLR. I have to say that I am tempted to trade in my very old working D40x. Should I wait for the January sales?

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

All the manufacturers seem to be pushing offers ahead of Christmas. If the trade in is good to mid Jan then you can't lose!

3. Learning

The point is that the Nikon trade in deal is no longer being pushed. It seems that it might have been too successful.
    Of course I don't need a D850, I am using a pair of D500 and they are the most functional cameras that I have ever owned.
    But everyone likes new toys don't they?

4. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

Re. your last point - only if they are presents from Santa.
    Having to pay for them forces some consideration of the cost and what you have to do to get the money.

5. Learning

I am not into nice cars. Now replacing my eight year old Skoda Labia would be possible, so buying even a very upmarket camera would be even more possible. Neither purchase would be out of need but just pure consumerism. When a retired aquaintance who had recently bought a new BMW 3 series thought my purchase of a second upish market camera a bit excessive even I did not have an immediate answer.

6. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

You may need to use your spell checker.

peterba likes this.
  7. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

or not use the (automatic) spell checker.

Lindsay Pennell and peterba like this.
  8. ChrisNewman

ChrisNewman Well-Known Member

These days most are too impatient to wait for proper “January” sales; they are preceded by “Black Friday” sales, and then seem to start on Boxing Day. I think that, nowadays, January usually has the lowest retail sales of any month. Our son works in a distribution warehouse, and will probably have to work the weekend after Christmas, with only the bank holidays off. I feel sorry for the staff in high street shops, although I don’t know when they get everything ready for the sales queues on Boxing Day morning.

I’d advise not waiting long after Christmas.

A year ago I wanted to get a lightweight geared tripod head at the best price I could find from a proper photographic shop. Manfrotto’s plastic one seemed the only moderately-priced one available, although I really wanted an Arca-Swiss-compatible mount, and assumed I would spend nearly as much on a conversion kit provided I got on with the head OK. I took advantage of a “Black Friday” offer from my local SRS Microsystems, Watford. Bad timing, because Benro then launched their Arca-Swiss-compatible geared head, which seemed a much better buy than the conversion kit for the Manfrotto. Fortunately, this year I noticed the Benro on an offer from SRS that didn’t seem to appear until after “Black Friday”, but finished Sunday 2 December!

Chris

9. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Judging by the activity I've seen in my local shops I suspect it's from about 3pm onward on Christmas Eve - usually lots of frantic removal of Christmas promotional items and replacing than with Boxing Day stuff...:rolleyes:

10. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I suspect they've probably spent their budget, so don't want to encourage any more...

Learning likes this.
  11. Learning

They probably offered a better deal than was sensible from their point of view.