1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using Screw mount lens on Leica m

Discussion in 'Leica Camera Chat' started by Tom Rodgers, Feb 5, 2017.

1. Tom Rodgers

Tom Rodgers New Member

Hello everyone! I am currently in the process of buying a Leica m5 body only, I currently don't have the money to invest in a Leica lens however I have a screw mount zorki 4K camera with a 50mm lens, if I used an adapter could this lens be used on the Leica m5 till I purchased a better lens. The screw mount on the lens is exactly the same mount as the old Leica screw mount. Many thanks to all :)

2. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Yes, should be no problem but just to be sure, make sure the lens as you hold it close to the lens throat on the M5 does not look as though it will contact anything inside. The M5 meter cell is on an arm which swings up in front of the shutter blind for meter TTL readings. Allow for that. It drops out of the way when any lens is removed from the camera.

3. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

The 50mm will be fine. Don't be tempted by the Jupiter 12 35/2.8 on the M5. Not that it's a bad lens (it's actually quite good) but the rear element is completely unprotected and sticks a long way into the camera. My best guess is that it would foul the meter arm with expensive consequences. When you choose an adapter, try to get the correct 50mm version, Leica M adapters are designed to activate the matching frame lines for the focal length they go with.

4. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

The Zorki 4k usually came with a Jupiter 8 or an Industar I-61 (both ≈50mm lenses). I have had multiple examples of both of these lenses, and none has ever caused a problem with fouling anything inside a camera. HOWEVER... I have never owned (or used) a Leica. Therefore, as advised above, do check before using. :eek:

If you have a J-8 then you should find it very good from f/4 onwards, decent at f/2.8, and maybe a little wayward at f/2. I've seen its rendering at f/2 described as "dreamy". ;) Also, (unlike the Industar) the J-8 has a step-less aperture ring.

The Industar is slower by one stop (max. aperture is f/2.8) and it's pretty good across the board. I have tended to use the J-8 by preference... not because it's technically any better, but because I *marginally* prefer the way that the J-8 renders.

There are frequent reports of sample variations with these lenses, so you might find that you have a 'dud'. In my experience, the duds are usually the result of inexpert tinkering. :rolleyes: BTW, just in case you feel inclined to do your own CLAs, these lenses are fairly easy to work on. Should you wish to do so, detailed instructions are available on the 'net, so that you can avoid turning your lens into a dud...! :)

Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
  5. Tom Rodgers

Tom Rodgers New Member

Thank you everyone for their comments much appreciated!
    The lens in question is a Jupiter 8 50mm f2
    I will be very careful with the lens being to far into the camera as I do not want to damage it before I've even shot a roll!

6. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

You should have no problem using a J8 - I used one on my M3. I was warning about the wide angle J12, which is a copy of the pre-war Zeiss Biogon and comes up quite cheaply.

peterba and Roger Hicks like this.
  7. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

Maybe I should stop speed-reading posts...! ;)

Andrew Flannigan likes this.