1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using Olympus OM lenses on an E-Body

Discussion in 'Olympus Chat' started by Iloca, Jun 20, 2007.

1. PRW123

PRW123 Well-Known Member

I have an E420, an E-Bay adapter and a raft of OM lenses. Okay, so I prefer the OM screens but I find focusing on the E420 with an OM lens a doddle. Bonus is that my 50mm 1.4 is now a 100mm on the E body, and that is very nice for portraiture!

2. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

But if you have had sight, whether or not you have it now and whether or not you have a camera, your mind is powerful enough to possess an eye ... and you can 'take' pictures!

3. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

You do know this thread is 4 years old?

4. Graham_RM13

Graham_RM13 Well-Known Member

So it has stood the test of time then... :D

5. Johnno884

Johnno884 New Member

I have almost managed to convince my wife to let me start up digital photography as a hobby. As a condition, I have to investigate the use of lenses my dad used on his 80's-esque Olympus SLR.

The one he has given me to start my recce is:

AMCAM 587 AUTO 2X TELECONVERTER (OM)

This means nothing to me so far, but I am keen to learn. Will this work with the 4/3rds adaptor referred to in this thread?

Thanks for the help.

Johnno

6. Graham_RM13

Graham_RM13 Well-Known Member

OM Lenses and OM mount converters will fit the OM to 4/3rds adaptor. BUT: while there are some OM lenses that work well on the 4/3rds body (the 24mm f/2.8 lens being one in particular), once you start putting 3rd Party teleconverters on to OM lenses and then use them on a 4/3rds body, the results will be less than the quality of the kit lenses.

This is for two good reasons:

The OM lenses were designed to work with a film area 4x larger than the 4/3rds sensor, so there will be light travelling through to parts of the inside of the body where it's not meant to go.

The Zuiko Digital Lenses are very good, they are designed specifically for the 4/3rds system and are not a compromise design to fit an old mount from an existing 35mm range.

Have fun...

7. Farcanalman

Farcanalman Member

I have an Olympus E-PL1!

So with that in mind; what would the net effect be of me using either of the Tamron lenses I have spotted in a local charity shop, namely the 70-210 and the 28-70?

And also; what adaptor ring/mount would I be needing from http://www.srb-griturn.com/ ?

Thx

:confused:

p.s. both lenses are new from old bankrupt stock and are only £20 each, in box with full packaging and paperwork!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  8. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Graham, I'm astonished you posted that! Would you care to correct for the benefit of the OP, please?

9. Old git

Old git In the Stop Bath

Just to add, you can also buy a split prism and microprism surround viewing screen to replace the factory version. It is east to change, provided you are careful.

I bought both the adapter and screen for my 510 and it's very sucessful :)

I have had good results with 28mm f2.8, 50mm f1.8 and 135mm f3.5 and Vivitar 75-205 f3.8

10. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

Manual or auto-focus?

11. PeteE

PeteE Well-Known Member

Just what I wanted to know !! I have a 'Gift' E-500 with 2 Olympus Digital lenses but I wanted to know if the OM FILM lenses would fit -- I found the OM Body Caps fit E-500 OK. So o
    i need a 4/3rds Adapter ?

12. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

So postings from ten years ago can be helpful!

13. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Indeed you do - the official Oly one or maybe the SRB Version