1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using Olympus OM lenses on an E-Body

Discussion in 'Olympus Chat' started by Iloca, Jun 20, 2007.

1. carman

carman Well-Known Member

You need some Helios lenses as used on old Zenit Cameras. I have a Zenit E film camera with a Helios 58mm f2 lens. There are a range of these lenses. they are better than you might think!

2. Towershot

Towershot Well-Known Member

Just a little update.
    I have bid for 5 OM1n camera,s now ,and will not pay silly prices,so have just put in a bid on a Oly E 330 with 14-45 lens.
    I have been going to get a 105mm macro for the D80,but at nearly £500 I got to thinking ,I have trouble getting down and up to insects low down, and then the act of looking through a viewfinder that low is almost impossible.

So, I thought ,why not a second hand E 330 and a Sigma 105 for it. ;)
    Live preview,flip up LCD, I just hope the LCD is good enough for setting a good sharp focus on manual f.

Well , I have prattled on to long,so I will post now,so some-one can tell me I,m mad to try this combo /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif.LOL.

3. Towershot

Towershot Well-Known Member

Lost the E 330, so now going to go new, iether the E330 with 14-45 at £400 or the E 410 with 14-45 for the same price.....and then get the Sigma 105mm Macro lens .

Advice?? :D

4. carman

carman Well-Known Member

Now there is the Dandelion to give AF confirm on OM lenses. It seems to give IS too. The only limitation seems to be the focal length is specified in the chip. Still it will make tele lenses easier ti use. I have a 50mm OM macro and find the Live view magnifier on my E-330 fantastic for close up.

5. zuiko

zuiko Well-Known Member

Is that how a Tokina 300mm AT X works on E3?

David

6. Repton

Repton Well-Known Member

So looks like the XA wins the rangefinder gong

with a close call but the OM4Ti just pipping the OM1/2/3's would you say???

Excellent - but what about other marques for say the rangefinders -- affordable stuff not fabulous Leica's etc

Canonets, Zorki's, Nikons etc etc???

7. Repton

Repton Well-Known Member

OOPS sorry posted in wrong thread - -please delete Mr Mod

8. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

NO!

The odd numbered ones will work without a battery fitted. The OM-3 (Ti) uses obtainable batteries and has probably the best meter ever fitted to a camera, identical to the OM-4 (Ti) switched to manual mode. The OM-1(n) meter is next to useless (especially without a PX625 battery, or a converter) but it does have a mirror lock. Got to be between the OM-1 and OM-3 (Ti).

9. mark_sargeant

mark_sargeant Member

Thanks for the heads up for the Pentax K mount to 4/3 adapter. It's something as as a Pentax user that gives me more options for a future upgrade path.

10. Antony_Shepherd

Antony_Shepherd Active Member

I used my 50mm f1.8 off my old OM-1 on my new Pen E-P1 using the MF-2 adaptor. Manual focus on the LCD was very intuitive and most of the time it was blatantly obvious whether I was in focus or not without having to use the magnified view.
    [​IMG]
    full size
    I was dead chuffed with the result. I'll definitely be using this again.

11. Block52

Block52 New Member

Re: Centon lens on an E-Body

Help please! I have just bought (on e-bay) a Centon 500mm mirror, sold as having a Nikon fit. So, before I received it, I ordered a Nikon-4/3 adapter to fit my E-410. Well, the lens arrived and has an anonymous screw thread, not Nikon. Can anyone advise me which adapter I SHOULD have bought? And I've heard all the paperweight gags about this lens so I'm now into damage limitation.
    Thanks

12. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

The Centon mirror lens (and it's variously branded identical cousins) came , think, with a T2 mount - this consists of a screw thread, similar but not identical to, the old M42 thread to which you can attach adapters in numerous different mounts.

T2 adapters are still available and you can buy a 4/3rds one from WarehouseExpress and probably other dealers as well.

Actually I don't rate it as a paperweight - too light............. ;) :D

13. Block52

Block52 New Member

Thanks Nigel
    I'll hunt one down now that I've publicly exposed my inexperience with non-Olympus kit as well as the infamous Centon brand. Once I've spent a fortune on getting it work I'll see whether or not I am disappointed with my purchase. However, my optimism is fading fast...
    Cheers
    Paul

14. jeallen01

jeallen01 Well-Known Member

Try Denton Photoptics
    http://www.ukcamera.com/denton/cokina.htm

They generally have some pretty cheap T2 mounts (+ step up/down rings etc.), and Dave there is very quick to respond to calls/emails - but they are only open Monday-Friday.

BTW: I have a 500mm Centon Mirror, and it is pretty good on my GX10.

John

15. grahama

grahama Member

M42, is that the Pentax screw Mount?. Reason I ask is I just inherited a bunch of Pentax screw mount lenses and was wondering if there was an adaptor available to allow them to be used on an Oly E series

16. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Yep....

17. grahama

grahama Member

Great stuff, don't suppose you have a link or name of who does them. I did troll round the web but could not find anything.

Would be greatly appreciated

18. john2

john2 Well-Known Member

19. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Click on the "Yep"...

It's the same link as above... I should have made it clear that it's a link, sorry...

20. grahama

grahama Member

Cheers for that, much appreciated