1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using Olympus OM lenses on an E-Body

Discussion in 'Olympus Chat' started by Iloca, Jun 20, 2007.

1. Iloca

Iloca Well-Known Member

Using Olympus OM lenses on an E-*** DSLR

Olympus OM lenses can be used on E-System DSLR’s with one or two limitations. Only manual focus lenses can be used, AF or Power Focus lenses can’t be used for various reasons, not least because they received the focus drive from a body mounted motor via a shaft which protrudes through the lens mount unlike the E-system lenses which have the AF motor in the lens.

To use the manual focus Zuiko OM system lenses you need an adapter, usually referred to as a OM to 4/3rds adapter. Olympus make an adapter which retails about £99 however 3rd party adapters are available on ebay. These are copies made in and shipping from China at around £15. Quite a few E-System users here have purchased these and are perfectly happy with them.

There are a few points to consider before attempting to use Manual focus lenses on an E-***,

The lenses need to be focused manually but unlike the large bright split image screen on Olympus OM cameras, the E-*** cameras have a smaller plain focusing screen. This can make it difficult to see whether the image is correctly focused or not but is by no means impossible. If you intend using manual focus lenses then it may be worth considering the magnifying eyecup which fits all E-bodies except the E-1

The E bodies will meter when fitted with Manual Focus lenses subject to certain limitations. (Further information, see links below)

For more detailed information on using Manual focus lenses on an E-*** please see the links below.

It should also be pointed out that you can get adapters to allow you to use Manual Focus lenses in the following mounts on an E-***

M42 > 4/3rds
    Pentax K > 4/3rds
    Nikon F > 4/3rds
    Leica R > 4/3rds
    Contax/Yashica RTS > 4/3rds

Other more unusual adapters are available from Stephen Gandy at Cameraquest.

Useful Links

www.biofos.com/cornucop/omz_e330.html

www.biofos.com/cornucop/omz_e1.html

www.wrotniak.net/photo/oly-e/any-lens.html

www.cameraquest.com/adapt_olyE1.htm

If anyone has anything to add or feel that there is anything that should be corrected please feel free to do so

2. Towershot

Towershot Well-Known Member

Just one question,
    I have some old hoya lenses from my OM1n days,135,300,plus a 2times adapter.

Is there any way to use them on a Nikon D80.

3. Iloca

Iloca Well-Known Member

Hi, afraid not.

4. Repton

Repton Well-Known Member

Your sig got me thinking

The camera is important,but without imagination ,the camera is useless.

Actually - imagination is important, but without a camera, you take no pictures :)

5. Towershot

Ohh,well. My fault should have gone back to Oly :eek:

6. Towershot

True,but in the hands of a blind man,the dearest optics are as nothing.....getting a bit deep now, /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

7. Iloca

Iloca Well-Known Member

Or C**on (perish the thought) :D

It's one reason why I switched from D70 to an E-1

Nice camera the D70 and the D80 :)

8. Repton

Repton Well-Known Member

Ah - he can't see the image - but the sensor can....so

9. Towershot

But he set his ISO at 3200,so the pics are *rap and not worth a tush..lol read poor reports on Oly when upgrading,

so went out to buy the C*non 400d,,but didn,t like the feel,so bought the N D80 because I DID like the feel..

So review writers do have an effect on purchases,please take note cam manufacturers,,and Damien>lol.

10. LordMinty

LordMinty Well-Known Member

Firstly, is there anyway of splitting the Nikon related bit of this thread off from the proper sticky bit?

Secondly, I have seen some of the more unusual Four Thirds adapters on eBay, e.g. Hassleblad, Pentacon Six.

Personally I've got a Four Thirds to Praktica PB adapter - DIY modified from a Pentax PK adapter...

11. Towershot

Sorry for that,,But thanks. I,ll have a look on E-Bay.

12. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

Yes... and no. Sub-threads can be split off the main thread, but split off one post and all posts that follow on from it go too. And the structure of the responses to this thread is such that if I move the original Nikon-related post, every other post in the thread - including your own - will go too. The only one left will be the orginal post. Generally speaking we do not split threads on these forums without some compelling reason - usually because some posts merit deletion because of some rule violation or other. Diversification of topic within threads doesn't violate the rules, so unless it's really making it impossible to track the original topic we wouldn't normally split a thread.

13. Towershot

thread has made up my mind anyway,so dont shout at me.

I,ve just made a bid on E-Bay ,for an Olympus OM1n,so I can use the said lenses....

14. Iloca

Iloca Well-Known Member

Good luck with the bidding :D

Looking through the OM1n viewfinder will seem like looking out the window compared to even a D80.

Richard

15. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

What?

16. Towershot

missed the first 2 but I,m up for another,, :cool:

Huw, just joshing... ;)

17. huwevans

huwevans Not Really Here

Oh, okay. :)

18. carman

carman Well-Known Member

I use an OM 50mm f1.8 and a Sigma OM 75-250 macro on my E-330. I have found the live view magnifier very helpful. My adapters are non Olympus from ebay, work fine. What we need is for somone to make a focus confirm adapter. You can get OM to Canon focus confirm adapters but not for Oly. I have read that it is technically possible but no one does it. At the price of the Olympus original you would think it would have it!

19. LordMinty

LordMinty Well-Known Member

I've just bought an eBay OM adapter myself to use with a Miranda 75-300 zoom that I picked up for almost nothing from a charity shop :eek: (yeah I know Miranda's aren't supposed to be top quality optics...)
    The adapter works really well and the view through our E-500 viewfinder seems really, really crisp and bright!

I also bought an M42 adapter for my M42 lenses, but unless they're presets or have an auto/manual switch they only work at full aperture :(

Oh, and what's a focus confirm adapter?? :D

20. Iloca

Iloca Well-Known Member

'Focus Confirm Adapters' allow the viewfinder focus confirm light to operate when using legacy lenses but they're so far only available on adapters that are Canon fit. (Legacy lens such as OM to Canon body)