1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using glass carrier with Magnifax 4 enlarger

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by Peter Jones, Jun 29, 2017.

1. Peter Jones

Peter Jones New Member

I've had a Magnifax 4 enlarger about 25 years, using it only with the glassless 35mm or 6x6cm negative holders. I now need to use the pair of glass plates supplied with the enlarger for 6x9cm negatives, but in the absence of any instructions I'm at a loss in attempting to fit them. Whereas the metal neg. holders are cunningly held (wedged) in place, allowing the carrier to be opened and adjusted without the holder falling out, I can see no way of fixing the glass plates to the carrier.
    Is it possible that the (new) enlarger was supplied without some essential component, or can someone explain how the two glass plates are to be fitted? Any help gratefully received.

2. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

The glasses are bevelled on one edge. Tuck the angled face into the side under the long flat, spring-flange at the top of the carrier. Lower the glass, still pushing gently, and drop it into place, pushing a little harder forward if need be to get it past the studs on the other side. Let go and it will be held. Pull back a little after lowering if need be. It's exactly the same as fitting the smaller metal masks.(Just tried this with a Magnifax 4 carrier).

Cheers,

R.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
  3. Peter Jones

Peter Jones New Member

Thank you very much - works a treat. Easy when you know how.
    Peter

4. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Peter,

Like most things!

You're more than welcome.

Cheers,

R.