1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Using a Canon FP lens with macro converter

Discussion in 'Canon Conflab' started by Polyglot, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Polyglot

Polyglot Member

Hello all,
    I am wondering about getting an adaptor which enables my old Canon FD lenses to be used on a DSLR body, purely for macro use. The better ones claim to offer autofocus, Av stop-down metering and recording of date etc. I would be using the 50mm f/1.4 on a 1000D body. Has anyone tried this?
    Many thanks, Alec.

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I don't see how you can possibly get autofocus, focus confirm possibly. It would have to be stop down metering because there is no means to control the aperture. Yes it gives you Aperture Priority - you have no other choice (apart from manual). If you want to use FD lenses you would probably be better off finding a used CSC. The adaptor will be cheaper, not need a correction lens, and CSC are often designed to work with manual lenses.

3. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

There was only one SLR ever made that could autofocus an ordinary lens - the Contax AX: https://cameralegend.com/tag/contax-ax-review/ Though you might think it would be a very good idea it's not a trick anyone has repeated with digital.

4. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

AFAIK. the only way to get an FD lens to work on and EOS camera is with an adapter which includes an additional lens element - and many of those produced by independent manufacturers have a reputation of suspect quality. OTOH, if you use an adapter without the lens element, an FD lens won't attain infinity focus - though this might lend itself to use on macro work.

In general, from everything that I've read on the subject, the received opinion seems to be that it's not worth bothering with the FD/EOS combination. Of course, there's something of an irony in the fact that the earlier Canon FD lenses are among the least suitable for adapting to the later EOS cameras, when many other lens brands work very well on EOS, with the appropriate adapter. :rolleyes:

5. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

I have used FD lenses on micro four thirds and (with the appropriate adaptor ) they work well on a tripod. Hand held is more difficult as you tend to need three hands - one to hold the camera, one to focus and one to work the stop down ring. If you can cope with that the results are excellent as some FD lenses are very fine.
    TBH I do not think it is worth trying to get FD to EOS (or any other standard DSLR) working

peterba likes this.
  6. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

Yes indeed, Roger - I've used the FD lenses on various formats, with much success... including MFT. It's just a pity that FD on EOS mount is so much less viable.

RogerMac likes this.
  7. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

When Canon introduced the FL mount in 1964 it had the second shortest flange to film distance for a full frame 35mm SLR at 42mm. The only full frame mount that was even shorter was the Konica F-Mount with a F-F distance of 40.5mm. When the EF mount was designed Canon choose to extend the F-F distance to 44mm. Reviews at the time claimed this was to allow a bigger mirror thus reducing viewfinder cutoff when using longer lenses.