1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Used battery grip

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by Bazarchie, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

I bought a used camera grip from a major on-line retailer last week, not one I had used before, but one with a reasonable reputation. It was listed as good quality and having received it, I was pleased with the quality. However, it subsequently occurred to me that although the Canon battery insert was included, the AA battery insert was missing. When queried with the retailer, they said it wasn't included in the pictures of the product. Checking their other posts, they never show photos of both inserts.

It is not a big issue as I would probably not use the AA insert, but I am annoyed that a major retailer would use what I call eBay tactics. If something is missing from the a product, they should say so. I have complained to customer services, still deciding to take it any further. The amount is immaterial, it is the principle. Most major on-line retailers I have used are very honest, I doubt if I would use this one again.

Anybody with similar experience?

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

If it was advertised as having the insert or sold as "boxed" which implies complete then it should be there but if it was just advertised as a grip then the onus was on you to ask. I can't really imagine anyone using AA batteries so the insert is probably something that gets immediately lost. Our first digital camera, a little Ricoh, took AAs by default and you got about 10 pictures. I quickly bought the optional rechargeable pack.

3. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I agree with Pete. I've bought a lot of 2nd hand kit over the years and it's up to the buyer to make sure s/he knows what's in the deal.

4. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Many a lens hood meets a similar fate! Boxed may imply complete, logically though it is fair to say that strictly speaking boxed means just that. If the AA battery pack was not actually pictured or described as included, I would assume it might not be there and would have enquired before purchase. Presumably you can return it for a refund.

5. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Presumably not an actual Canon grip then? As far as I know Canon's own are designed for the correct Canon battery and only come with an AA adaptor. FWIW I bought a used Canon battery grip for my 40D last year and that didn't have the AA battery insert either.

I suspect the fate of most AA inserts it to be stuck in a drawer and forgotten about...

6. Bazarchie

I expected more from a major retailer selling used goods. All they need to say is x,y,z is not included.

Not a big issue as the grip looks new, the price was good and discounted in the sale.

7. Bazarchie

It is a Canon grip. I also have a grip for my 5D which does have a AA insert and has never been used by me.

40D - fond memories!

8. IvorCamera

IvorCamera In the Stop Bath

My battery AA insert was not mentioned when I had to buy a replacement, my third party grip which fell apart and was unrepairable and no parts available I had the grip from new it was 2 years old...however I bought a replacement from Grays and it included the AA insert.....I was very pleased about that....