1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Use of AP Forum members' pictures in AP - thank you, Roger

Discussion in 'AP Magazine Feedback & Suggestions' started by Chester AP, Jul 2, 2018.

1. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

Roger Hicks has used two photographs from the AP Forum in recent issues of AP on his 'Final Analysis' page (see issues dated 26.05.18 and 07.07.18). I suspect that there is no other way that AP Forum members' pictures would get into AP, because they appear to prefer to use images from Twitter and Flickr.

Also, use of the images in AP, with a mention of the AP Forum, may encourage more people to post images on it for Roger to choose from in future.

I accept that none of my images are ever likely to be of the standard needed for the 'Final Analysis' page, but appreciate that Roger has drawn my attention to two from other members that I had glanced at but to which I had not devoted enough attention.

2. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

El_sids shot well deserved a spot in the limelight... I mentiond at the time that it was the best fisheye shot of the type, that I had ever seen.
    Apart from some successful stadia shots that we often see, interesting compositions with fisheye lenses seem to be as rare as hens teeth.
    Which can also be true for extreme stitched panoramas. So well done to both Nigel and Roger, the first for seeing and capturing it, and the second for bringing it to the attention of a wider audience.

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  3. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

I'm guessing mine is in this weeks issue then? Anyway thank you for the compliments. To be honest I was most surprised when Roger asked if he could use it as I too never imagined any of my pictures being considered worthy of such appraisal. I guess the motto is don't ever assume none of your images is good enough for consideration...:)

Roger Hicks and Done_rundleCams like this.
  4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Yes, July 7th cover, it should be in the shops today! They did a good job of repeoducing it too!

5. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Cheers Pete, I shall have a look in Smiths or Waitrose later then.

6. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Yes, I was very proud when Roger picked one of my shots for his article. I smiled for a long time!
    27th January 2018

Kate

7. Chester AP

I think it worked so well because the cathedral in the centre of the circular image had very little distortion, and that all the surrounding areas showed detail that didn't have straight edges, although other people will have different thoughts about this. If there is a gift shop in the cathedral (isn't there always?), perhaps they might like it for a poster or calendar... just make sure you keep the copyright.

8. William Parker

William Parker Well-Known Member

It was worthy of rogers attention. Super photo.

9. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Well, I look for pictures EVERYWHERE. This is also one of the main reasons for going to Arles every year. My main criterion is whether I go "Wow" when I see it, but there's also a subsidiary "slow burn" criterion: pictures of which I think, "Yes, that is a brilliant way to make a particular point." Over thirty years ago, for example, Frances and I did a book on the American Civil War. After a while, 130-year-old battlefields become distressingly similar. The result of that was an article for Shutterbug called "101 ways to shoot a cannon", because with the best will in the world, and fully cognizant of the horror of the war, photography becomes very difficult. The same is true of the current spate of books about refugees/ migrants; and I've photographed a lot of Tibetan refugees too, so I know the difficulties.

I try to keep the number of AP forum shots to a minimum, though, because I don't want the back page to become a sort of informal photo competition with me as the sole judge (well, assisted by Frances -- or even well assisted by Frances). My choices also illustrate the extent to which personal preferences and knowledge are important. There are many superb insect pictures in the forum, for example, but I can't really say much about them because (a) it's not a subject that interests me greatly and (b) I've never had any success when I have tried it, so I can't give much in the way of critique, advice or context.

Cheers,

R.

10. Roger Hicks

Dear Chester,

Paying attention is indeed important. It's all too easy to skate past really excellent pictures, because of sheer visual overload.

When Frances and I are sorting pictures, we refer to this condition as being "pictured out".

Cheers,

R.

11. Chester AP

Roger

Perhaps this explains why the winners of some photographic competitions come as a surprise to many of the entrants, and may bear little relation to the title of the competition.

Also, regarding pictures you choose for your AP page: the ancient large-format Kodachrome ones you find are always fascinating. It helps that you sometimes explain for younger readers the technical problems (10 ASA film speed, for example) that the photographers had to overcome to take the picture.

Chester

12. Roger Hicks

Dear Chester,

First para: Never thought of it, but you could be right. On the other hand, having (say) 3 judges probably helps.

Second para: Yes, I do try to remind people of just how different things used to be.

Cheers,

R.