1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Urgent!!!

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by MGilbeyPhotography, Mar 16, 2017.

1. On Sunday I'm doing a shoot in a old RAF Base with a model using smoke grenades. I'm using a nikon D3300 and a 50mm F/1.8 lens, I also have ONE external flash.

I need a shutter speed of 1/250 - 1/640 to freeze the smoke but its dark in the building and this won't capture enough light...

What should I do? Will camera mounting the flash with it in Auto mode wash out the smoke?

Any advice is welcome

Thank you
    Marcus

2. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

What's the fastest flash synch speed? If you use anything faster, the frame will only be partly exposed by the flash.

Cheers,

R.

3. 1/250s

4. Actually its 1/200 on the camera and 1/250 on the flash

5. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

The Help forum is the proper place for this - but don't repost as duplicate posts are more frowned upon than ones in the wrong place.

The flash exposure is very short (1/10,000 s) so will freeze the smoke movement but getting the right exposure may be tricky and the effect you get may be modified by reflection of the flash. Depends on how white the smoke is I guess. You'd probably get better results bouncing the flash off a reflector because direct on-camera flash is more likely to give uneven results. You need to understand some basics about controlling exposure using flash together with ambient light. A complicated situation isn't going to be solved on auto mode.

6. The smoke will be relatively thick and coloured also, would that affect it?

7. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

As a wild guess it'll be in your favour.

You will need to balance the flash exposure (strength of the flash, flash to subject distance, aperture used) with ambient light (exposure time, aperture used) all for the given iso. You will also be working to the framing and depth of field you want which will determine working distance and aperture. It's quite a lot to add time pressure to this! I'd suggest to try to be methodical and write down what you tried so that you can understand the results.

8. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Calm down. Use the kit you are used to. Hopefully this shoot is in the afternoon so take everyone involved for a pub lunch and moderate your intake of alcohol so that you have enough to be relaxed but way short of enough to be pissed. Everyone else might have a drop more but still short of pissed.
    More seriously enjoy it, and make sure everyone else enjoys it. Keep the atmosphere lighthearted and have a few jokes in reserve in case things go wrong.
    You have the needed photographic expertise or you would not be in this situation. This is about confidance.

PhotoEcosse likes this.