1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Upgrade K200D to?

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by Gromit, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Gromit

Gromit RIP

At present I own K200D, however I realise that while it still produces good pictures there are many advantages with the newer models. So what suggestions are there about upgrading, should funds permit. I'm use to using the LCD screen on top of the camera and therefore slightly put off by those models that don't have one - although I wouldn't dismiss them completely. I'm also one of the rare fans of AA batteries. They've never let me down, even in freezing conditions, and are cheap and easy to replace.

With the K5 II released I understand there are some bargains around on the K5. But will a K5 give any big advantages over say a K30. My main type of photography is landscapes. Focus-on-Imaging will be here shortly and I'm wondering if I might be tempted to upgrade, if I find a bargain and if I can save enough.

Any opinions?

2. JerryNash

JerryNash Well-Known Member

Hi Gromit.

I started out with a K200D before graduating to a K7 before 'downgrading' to a K30 just before Christmas. Having had the top LCD on my previous 2 cameras (illuminated in the K7) I really thought I'd miss this feature on the K30 but in all honesty it hasn't affected my shooting other than using the info in the viewfinder more often. Which is a good thing. Also, the onscreen info on the K30 is far more useful and intuitive than in the K200, and the K7 for that matter, so its much less of a loss than you think. It also takes AAs with an adapter.

The only drawbacks I have found with the K30 is the slightly lower build quality than the K7, with less direct controls (and no way of adding a battery grip as you can with the K200, K7/ K5) but in every other way it is an improvement - and I would say a better option than the K5 mark I, which is older and in some ways is inferior, despite its added sophistication.

3. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Well, seeing as how you're living in sunny Swansea, you really don't
    need the weatherproofness of the K30 :) However, because of the
    AA battery capability, I would suggest the K30 and the AA battery holder,
    albeit at a small extra cost. Also, the T/AV, 100% VF and, as I found when moving up from my K200D's to my K-r, the 6fps and huge(ish) buffer is really nice along with a huge increase in "nice high iso" quality :)

Cheers,

Jack

4. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

I think the main advantage of the K5 over the K30 is 14-bit raw files, which would give you a bit more flexibility in raw conversions, and slightly more dynamic range. However, if you use manual focus in live view, the K30 has focus peaking.

5. Gromit

Gromit RIP

Thanks for the information, so far you seem to be preferring the K30. I always shoot in RAW so the extra bit depth of the K5 would also be helpful.

Looking at the exhibitors for Focus-on-Imaging I can't see anyone listed that might be carrying Pentax :( so I'm unlikely to find any bargains there.

6. Gromit

Gromit RIP

Having read the reviews there seems very little between the K30 and K5. Advantages and disadvantages on both models. In the end it will come down to handling as they have completely different shaped bodies. So next thing is try and find somewhere with both in stock.

One thing I've noticed though is that the K30 seems to have risen in price lately. Is this due to the end of a cashback offer or are there other reasons?

Best prices I've found (body only) are K30 at £430 and K5 at £549. Although there are a few factory reconditioned models being offered for £400 and £500 respectively.

7. Done_rundleCams

I suspect it (price rise) is due to the rebate/cashback thing ending and, FWIW, our K30 (the stores) is the equivalent to 438 pounds (including our annoying 12% tax) ... and, personally, I'd spend the extra 30 quid for the new one :)

Cheers,

Jack

8. Craftysnapper

Craftysnapper Well-Known Member

There was some very aggressive price cutting on the K-30 for about a month during which I picked up a new K-30 body for £319 including the £50 cash back, I'm glad I went for it when I did. :)

9. Gromit

Gromit RIP

It sounds a great buy, pity I missed it :(

As Jack says the difference between the reconditioned K30 and new isn't worth it. My nearest store that holds stocks of Pentax has just sold the last K5, and the reconditioned ones, but is hoping for more K5 stock next week. So I'll wait until then. The price difference with the K5 II is probably too big a jump.

I really want to see what the difference in handling is like, seeing as they're two completely different body shapes. As you say, and from reviews, there is little difference in picture quality between the K5 and K30, but how they feel in my hands is important.

10. Done_rundleCams

For what it's worth, Gromit, the price difference betwixt the K5 and K5ii is not that great, IMO ..... well, maybe, I'm just thinking at the store where I work. Maybe/probably different on your side of the pond.

Still, if it were me, I'd go for the K-30 over the K-5 or K-5ii.

Cheers and good luck with the decision making :)

Jack

11. Gromit

Gromit RIP

Thanks Jack.

The price difference here between K-5 and K-5ii is around £180 (not sure how that translates into Canadian), and from what I can see there isn't a big improvement.

At the moment I'm torn between the K-30 and K-5, but it's all going to come down to how they feel to hold. If my only choice is K-30 or K-5ii then the price gap might just be too big :(

12. Done_rundleCams

Price diff betwixt 5 and 5ii are the same ... price diff between the 5ii and 30 .. well, there's a difference and, having played with both, the weight is different (50 grams) and the 5ii has a more powerful battery .... here the comparison for the cameras you're considering from your friends at DePravedReview.

Cheers,

Jack

13. Gromit

Gromit RIP

Useful comparison Jack, helpful as always :)

Will let you know how I get on.

14. Gromit

Gromit RIP

After handling both the K-30 and K-5, I must say the K-30 is excellent value for money. However the K-5 just felt that bit better to handle, for me at least.

Luckily I was also offered a great deal on the newer K-5ii by PXing my body (sounds like I'm selling my soul), and only paid an extra £120 over what the K-30 would have cost.

How could I refuse :)

15. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

I think it is the same sensor in the K30 to the K5 looking at the sensor tests.

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Ca...and)/Pentax/(appareil2)/676|0/(brand2)/Pentax

I agree being able to drop in some AA battery when needed is a very useful feature.

Especially now you can get lithium AA I have read 1000 shots. Which are light to carry and have alot of power on board. :)

Looks to me the that the K30 is just a slight downgrade of the K5 and very slight at that.

Personally a top plate is a luxury that I question you need and possible drain on battery power.

PS: you still the OVF upgrade as the K30 is pentaprism from your K200D penta-mirror. :)

Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
  16. JerryNash

JerryNash Well-Known Member

Fair play Gromit - a VERY good deal! When i PXed my K7 for the K30 is cost me £44, but to get a K5ii for such a small increase you must be delighted. If i could have afforded to, i would have gone for a K5ii too. Perhaps in a few years i will be able to get one, either as a replacement for the K30 or as a '1st body' - though i can imagine my wife's reaction if i tried to justify having 2 DSLRs - i have trouble justifying having a Samsung EX1!... (although i hope to replace that in the future too - if i can narrow down my choices from the EX2, P7700, X20 or RX100). Decisions, decisions!

Enjoy your camera!

17. Gromit

Gromit RIP

Thanks Jerry. Managed to get out today and take the first few shots, and I'm very pleased with the quality.

It sounds like you had a great bargain as well. I only opted for the K-5ii because it felt better to hold, and the deal I was offered. Looking through the spec on the K-30 and K-5 I couldn't see much difference, so if you're happy with the way your K-30 handles will you notice any difference by "upgrading"? What about putting your money towards some extra glass. It might be easier to justify too ;)