1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrade due

Discussion in 'Smartphone photography' started by daft_biker, Apr 19, 2019.

1. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

What, if anything, are the good people of this forum able to recommend?

My current phone is a Sony with more megapixies than it knows what to do with, has not proven to be very robust and the system updates annoy me too. Tempted to try a Google phone next time.

2. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

What do you use it for? Just as a phone with occasional camera use or the full smartphone experience?

3. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Sony Xperia have been the toughest phones I have ever used. If they aren't robust enough for you, may I suggest one of the rufty-tufty offerings that are branded by JCB or Landrover.

4. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

iPhone with a decent shock absorbing case. Whatever phone you get try a tech21 case. They are very good. Don’t buy from the company themselves though as they are atrocious, use a third party seller.

5. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Gear4 cases are very good too.

6. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Yes. That is what I have on my Iphone XR. I did order a Tech21 as we have been using them for years and have saved our phones several times. Owing to the crap, and I mean really crap service from them (Amazon etc at the time were not selling Tech21 covers for the XR) I ended up cancelling the order from the company and had to use PayPal to recover my refund I ended up getting a Gear4. More chunky than the the other one, but there again, so am I!

7. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

The full experience would be nice as I still play SimCity and when I go for walks I tend not to bother with a compact but usually have my phone with me so like the idea of a useful camera.

The chassis of my Z5 (a flagship model IIRC) bent around the power button within days of getting it and I've had to replace both front and back of it after a fall from a couch to a rug. And then the new back cracked so I covered it in gorilla tape. It also doesn't let me hang up if I make a call....I have to force reset if they don't answer and can't use answering machine with the screen blacked out either....or navigate helpdesk menus....which I attribute to a software update before I dropped it!

The JCB phone I saw was ancient and the Land Rover one, at a glance, looked like a more recent attempt to sell old tech at a modern price. I've had smartphones since symbian was a thing and windows mobile looked like windows 3.1 and could run the PC version of SimCity 2000 so going back to something more basic doesn't appeal. I'm going to have to relent and get a case for the next one, it seems.

PS. had a busy day so didn't get a chance to reply earlier. It's like there is some sort of religious festival involving fish going on.....you'll be glad you can't smell me!:oops:

8. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I do not understand why you need an upgrade if you have megapixels. I am presently upgrading from a Nokia 3030e, at least 15teen years old which has no mega pixels whatsoever. If I wish to make a telephonic communication then I will use my new Moto G7 plus from my left hand jacket pocket. If I wish to make a photographic record then I will grab from my right hand pocket my Sony Rx100 m3. Of course if my new phone was in my hand and a newsworthy event was taking place in front of me, then I would use my new phone, unless my desire for personnel safety forced me into cover

9. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

One of the young lads at work just got a Huwai P30 pro which would be tempting for it's cameras but he cracked the back casing on a night out last night. Says he didn't drop it and thinks the damage happened in a pocket.

I need a new phone because my old one was too fragile and they seem to have got worse rather than better. I'm about to spend hundreds of pounds on something I don't think is fit for purpose:(.

10. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

The P30 pro is probably the best at the moment (from a camera point of view) followed by the Galaxy S10, the Apples are far behind. As an over all smartphone experience, well hard to say depends on what you are used to I guess.

11. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

Another thing, having a flip cover case has worked great, anoint to use but I have never had a phone cracking when using one (family of 4). Cases with out the front flap have been ok but all have eventually ended up with cracked screen.

12. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Thanks.....dunno how much use it would actually be but the periscope lens for 50x zoom range looks pretty neat and with so many cameras on it maybe there is more chance of one still working properly by the end of the contract!:D

A case seems like a must these days though.:(

13. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

Perhaps a simple and cheap mobile telephone that you don't need to upgrade every few months, and a real camera for your pictures.

14. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

I agree that a flip cover case is sensible. Unfortunately the best made seem to all use a magnet to hold the flap closed. Fine if you don't want to use the phone's compass.

15. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

After not being able to navigate menus on calls or get an upgrade through the service provider website I went old school and went to a shop and ended up with a Samsung A40 based on no research of it whatsoever and with a that will do attitude. It looked fragile enough without spending more on something bigger and more fragile and it was also a tenner a month cheaper than my Sony Z5 for twice as much data.

Also got a flip case for it so hopefully it lasts a bit better!