1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Updated app

Discussion in 'AP Magazine Feedback & Suggestions' started by Bazarchie, Nov 4, 2017.

1. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Is anybody else using the new version of the app to read the magazine? I have it on an iPad and I prefer the previous version. Pages do not fit the screen in the new version and whenever you open the app it reverts to the library meaning you have to reopen the current edition rather than it opening to the page you were previously reading. You should also be able to click on the index to take you to the relevant page.

Not impressed, doesn't somebody test these apps?

2. Gilletthome77

Gilletthome77 New Member

I am having the same problem. I did flag it as an issue with the support email. But very frustrating

3. Bazarchie

No interest from AP?

4. Gilletthome77

Gilletthome77 New Member

No nothing at all

5. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I doubt the editorial team has anything to do with the IT side. The original electronic version was dire so I never got past the demo. I am going off The Times e-version. It is very well thought out but is running slower and slower. I can easily read a whole broadsheet page in less time than it sometimes spends thinking over moving to the next story.

6. Gilletthome77

Gilletthome77 New Member

I have no problem with the speed of the app but the app no longer fist fully within the screen size along with the inability to remember the last page you read. As an aside I have the Times on my iPad and works perfectly for me.

7. Nigel_Atherton

Nigel_Atherton Group Editor

Pete is right. The editorial team do not have anything to do with the IT side. I presume someone does test the app but I don't know who. I will ask though.

8. Nigel_Atherton

Nigel_Atherton Group Editor

I have tracked down the department responsible for the app and have this reply:

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We are aware of problems with the App. For those UX problems mentioned there is a new App update that is in review with Apple. Among various bug fixes. We have fixed the 'Remember your place' function.

The new new App build should be live next week. We are also going to be looking at another major release in the new year that will provide great improvements to the responsiveness of the App, including more features and a better user experience.

9. Bazarchie

Many thanks for researching.

10. Skir67

Skir67 Member

Good to hear it is still being worked on. This latest version felt a bit like two steps forward and one step back for me. I've found it tends to crash when scrolling from page to page too fast. I've also found that sometimes when I zoom in (required on an iPhone 5s!) to read something the app will automatically zoom out on its own, often this will occur several times. Sometimes closing and re-opening the app will cure it, but sometimes doing that makes it behave worse! This is a crucial issue for me as the text is otherwise too small to read.

Agree with OP that being able to click on a link in the index and go to the article directly would be useful. At least the app no longer jumps off one page to another when zooming in and then scrolling left or right like the old one did, which was very annoying.

Another suggestion would be could we have links on the photos that enlarge that photo or a series in an article to full screen size? Another magazine app I use (sorry) has this function and I find it great to get a larger sized version to see.

11. Bazarchie

App has been updated but the pages still do not fit my iPad in portrait mode.