1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Update from Cottingley - More Fairies & Divas

Discussion in 'Appraisal Gallery' started by Robert Crabtree, Mar 12, 2018.

1. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

QUOTE="EightBitTony, post: 1482702, member: 51491"]I guess what I can't understand is why you go out with a camera phone, snap shots of incense, or smoke, and then try and convince us of something else. I don't see the benefit to you or us. .[/QUOTE]
    Dear Tony,

I completely agree, though I thought it might be ink in water.

I rather like the pictures, and suspect that there's an exhibition in there, but the "Faerie" stuff detracts from the pictures (much as do really bad titles) and the Cottingly conceit pushes the whole idea through the floor. My advice would be JUST SHOOT THE PICTURES -- and don't show us quite so many of them. Pick only the best.

Cheers,

R.

EightBitTony likes this.
  2. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

I could buy ink in water, if it wasn't for the OPs claim not to post-process the images. Given the backgrounds, ink in water would need to be composite images (or someone carrying a big tank of water outside, or putting photographs underneath / behind a tank of water).

Roger Hicks likes this.
  3. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

He's also claiming that he's photographing fairies and you're not buying that so what makes you think there's no 'shopping going on?!

For comparison's sake, this was ink in water...no photoshop beyond tweaking contrast

Applied-Techniques585.jpg

Little waterproof fuji instant camera in a fish tank pointing up at the sky, red printing ink. I took a shedload of images and had to empty out the tank several times (water kept getting all...inky) and in the majority of them there was evidence of me, or the tank or the cat peering in to see what the heck I was up to. It was very hard to just get water and a background that didn't also include the kids' bikes and the hedge and the neighbours talking about the mad woman at number 47. So on balance I don't think ink in water.

EightBitTony and Roger Hicks like this.
  4. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Tony,

Fair enough. I wasn't paying that much attention: the hopelessly twee commentary put me off.

Cheers,

R.

EightBitTony likes this.
  5. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Yep, agree with all that. I think we discussed in another thread, fluid dynamics don't care if you're liquids or smoke anyway :)

6. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

You've murdered a fairy.:eek:

Geren likes this.
  7. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

That's what you call 'Fairy Liquid'...

Cheers, Jeff

Geren likes this.
  8. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Fairy nuff.