1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unusual Modes Of Transportation

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by Bipolar, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Bipolar

Bipolar Member

This ferry is used to cross the Skeena River near my home.
    It is propelled by the current. When the river level is too low or
    too high then the ferry is taken out of service and the cable car
    is used in its place.

Terry

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

In Exeter we still have a very basic rope ferry. The ferryman yanks on the rope and the ferry moves with him...

Olympus E-PL5 8GB 03 P6010016.JPG

Catriona and peterba like this.
  3. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

Is that the one at Quayside, called something like Butts crossing, or similar?

4. Andrew Flannigan

That's it. The ferry has been there since at least 1641 but the name dates only from 1971 when George Butt led a campaign to keep the ferry open against the City Council's worst efforts to close it down. The current boat dates from 2005.

Panasonic GM5_black 8GB 13 _1040282.JPG

peterba and SXH like this.
  5. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

There's a ferry between Walberswick and Southwold that stops you having to walk all the way up the River Blyth to the road bridge to cross the river (which is a fair old hike, particularly - as I know very well - when you're wearing half of the Town Marshes from the waist down!*).

It's a traditional Suffolk punt rowing boat and is operated by a very nice young lady who rows up to a dozen people at a time across the river. Sadly I've never been able to avail myself of her services because she breaks for lunch for an hour and half every day from 12:30 to 2:00pm, and the only times I've ever been in the market for a crossing have been during that down-time.

Cheers, Jeff

*an object lesson in why you never take a step backwards to get a better angle on a picture without first checking that: a) You're not already standing at the furthest extent of the boarded pathway and b) That said backwards step will not place you in a marsh. I emerged from the marsh very much in the manner of The Creature from the Black Lagoon, and for the rest of my journey small children ran, screaming, from my appearance and I expect that to this day I am still the stuff of their nightmares.

peterba likes this.
  6. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

If you look carefully, there's a bloke sitting on the top, so it counts as transportation.

rushcart-75-web.jpg

S

7. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

Ah, the 'jockey'. Traditionally tied in place so that he doesn't fall off - the danger coming principally as a result of him lowering a bucket on a rope and pulling it back up after it has been filled with beer!

Taken in Uppermill, nobbut a cock's-stride from the Commercial unless I'm very much mistaken.

Cheers, Jeff

8. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Andrew Flannigan likes this.
  9. steveandthedogs

Spot on. This was the first revival. The old feller in the front pulled the last of the originals. Did well, but argued with the team the next year.
    Keith G and yours truly are sweating somewhere in there.

S

10. Andrew Flannigan

Something a little bit different...

Nikon D200 B6952.JPG

11. steveandthedogs

There are three or four simpler versions I've seen knocking about N Wales. Can't see the point, myself; all the disadvantages of a bike plus all the disadvantages of a car.

12. Bipolar

Bipolar Member

This one on the machines I maintain at my place of employment.

[​IMG]

steveandthedogs likes this.
  13. Andrew Flannigan

How about a tricycle made for 2...

Nikon D200 B7161.JPG

14. Andrew Flannigan

Just hanging about...

Nikon D200 B7346.JPG