1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unlimited hydroplane testing

Discussion in 'Exhibition Lounge' started by Jeff Horton, Jun 23, 2017.

1. Jeff Horton

Jeff Horton Active Member

Was fortunate to attend a testing event for Unlimited Hydroplanes. Managed to get pit access but the best photos were from the other side of the lake.

[​IMG]SJH_4663 by Jeff Horton, on Flickr

[​IMG]SJH_4686 by Jeff Horton, on Flickr

Digitalmemories likes this.
  2. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

That's some serious wake...:eek:

3. Jeff Horton

If you look at the second photo on the inside under the boat on the its left side you can see a dark spot. These Unlimiteds have a skeg about 3 feet long that helps them turn at amazing speed. It sends up a wall of water when the turn and that is lot of what you see. Plus he was probably dong 140+ when I took these photos.

4. Digitalmemories

Digitalmemories Well-Known Member

Wow. Great action shots.

5. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

I'll second that...:cool:

6. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Fascinating. Never heard of them. Where can you see them in the UK?

7. Jeff Horton

I was wondering if they race anything similar there? They use a turbine engine from a Helicopter for power.

8. Digitalmemories

Digitalmemories Well-Known Member

Wonderful excess of power! Would really like ro see them. And the photos really capture the energy, looks like the turn is the most photogenic part?

9. Jeff Horton

Yes. It has the huge wall of water coming off the turn fin so it makes for dramatic photos. That is why I chose the location I did. I wanted to catch them in the turn.

This was a test session so they were just running one boat at a time. If they were actually racing and had multiple boats side by side I would have moved down toward the opposite end I think. They send up a big rooster tail on the straights but nothing like the turns.

Someone brought one of the old boats and ran it. You can see there isn't that wall of water in the turns. The straights are similar but the new ones do have a bigger rooster tail behind them.

[​IMG]SJH_3473 by Jeff Horton, on Flickr

[​IMG]SJH_3454 by Jeff Horton, on Flickr

Digitalmemories and SXH like this.