1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Under eye shadow caused by bounce flash

Discussion in 'Colour or Not' started by fhyder, Oct 14, 2009.

1. fhyder

fhyder Member

Hello

A lot of the pictures I take by bouncing flash off a white ceiling create under eye shadows on the subjects, regardless of whether I am using the camera in program or manual mode (Nikon D200 with SB-600). Can anyone please suggest a remedy? Thank you.

Farrukh

2. FujiSigmaNolta

FujiSigmaNolta Well-Known Member

How close are you getting to your subjects? A ring flash or a reflector could be what you are looking for. I have both but find myself using the ringflash more in those kind of situations. Ring flashes mount on the lens and can give really nice highlights to the eyes. You can have both hotshoe and ring flashes mounted on the camera. Ring flashes are commonly used for macro photography but they are excellent for portraits too.

Hope that helps.

3. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

You could try sticking some aluminium foil to your flash so that it intercepts the upwards light and throws some of it towards your sitter. Crumpling the foil first might help. (My Canon 550EX flash has a built-in piece of plastic to do the same thing - it's normally hidden away, but can be pulled up when required.)

4. surf_digby

surf_digby Well-Known Member

If you're willing to spend a bit of money, then look into something like a Stofen Omnibounce (which - to be honest - I don't think are all that great), or one of those Lumiquest contraptions that's like a bounce card with gaps in it so you get forward projection and ceiling bounce.

5. Malcolm_Stewart

Thanks - but my post was last October...

6. surf_digby

surf_digby Well-Known Member

How strange. It showed last night as having had a new post added to the thread, so I had a peek at what was being said, but ignored the date.

7. Malcolm_Stewart

Not strange at all - unfortunately it's a <feature> of the forum software.