1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unauthorized use of photograph - what to do?

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by Diplopodus, Feb 9, 2014.

1. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Thanks Diplopodus for your reply.
    I presume you have read my posts on this topic? If you have you will see I am on your side. I have always stated that using someone's picture without authorisation is 'stealing'. I never said it wasn't. Why all the attacks I don't know.

What I have said, and continue to say, is that with the ease of Copy & Paste or Save A$ etc, it is so easy for yours or mine or anybody else's picture to be used. Not right I know, but easy. I would imagine that for every picture of yours you find being used there are probably twice as many more you haven't found out about.

All that I am saying is that once your picture is on Flickr, in the public domain, on the great world wide web, controlling its use is very difficult.

My personal view is accept it. But yours and others isn't and I've no problem with that. If you can get a satisfactory result then fair play to you. Well done

I really am on your side.

2. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

It's NOT the public domain.

That's the point.

Sloppy wording like that just makes things worse.

Cheers,

R.

3. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Apologies yes you are correct in that Roger. No defence.

4. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Sorry to have been pedantic.

Basically I agree with you. Put it on the Web and it WILL be stolen. It is naive to think otherwise -- unless it's so awful no one would want to steal it.

Cheers,

R.

5. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

No problem at all Roger.

Fortunately (or is it unfortunately) most of my pictures fall into that category..!!

6. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

That's what I thought of all of mine - clearly my idea of a bad image isn't a universal view :(

7. londonbackpackr

londonbackpackr Well-Known Member

With 1Tb of free storage, I back up all my HQ pictures on flickr.

Set to private no one can see or steal them

8. Helander

Helander Well-Known Member

Resurrecting this old thread in the hope of some advice.
    I know my pictures get used without my consent, it never used to bother (much)me until recently.
    My pictures available on Flickr are watermarked and copyrighted. I also have a blurb asking they are not used in part or full for any purpose without prior permission.
    Two days ago I found a website using 4 of my pictures for commercial gain to advertise a local loch, it's beauty and the sale of fishing permits for said loch.

I have contacted them telling them to remove the pictures immediately as no consent was sought, so are therefore stolen. I stated I take theft of my pictures very seriously and if they are not removed I will have no option but to take further action.
    I received an apology today stating the pictures will be removed, they have removed only one picture and replaced it with a picture taken by a photographer friend of mine (coincidence).
    I have replied asking for a mailing address or email address to forward an invoice for the use of my pictures.
    I have no idea what to do next, how to draw up an invoice or what to do if they just ignore me.
    Am I digging a bigger hole for myself?

9. fruitbat

fruitbat Member

just putting a water mark on the photo does not mean its copy righted. there is services out there were you up load photos for copy righting.( think its £35 per group up load) you have more rights by doing this

10. southonline

southonline Well-Known Member

clearly they don't want to pay for images otherwise they wouldn't have stolen another image from your friend

The first thing I would do is a print screen shot showing your images on there site - then send an invoice for use of each image, if you wanted to really push your luck you could invoice them for each page that your photos are on, although most of the images I've purchased in the past has been a single license, but if it was Getty for example they would be pushing for every page it was displayed on

Is there contact address not on the site? if not you can use whois and do a reverse look up on the name, however they may have this hidden but it will give you the hosting company and you can contact them asking for the owners details due to image theft... Then just send a standard invoice attaching a copy of the screen shots

The real issue will be if they call your bluff and refuse to pay, as your only option if you want the money is a solicitor, but as I'm guessing you won't want that route, you could threaten to contact Google regarding the website using stolen images as Google will remove the pages from its results if it knows the site is using stolen content / images, you could also copy the hosting company telling them you are contacting Google regarding this as the hosts won't want to P*** Google off and they can force the owners to remove the images

Good luck

Last edited: Apr 9, 2014
  11. AlanClifford

AlanClifford Well-Known Member

It has your copyright without the watermark and without services.

12. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

A photo is automatically copyright of the photographer unless that right has been relinquished for some reason. The use of a watermark is simply to attempt to deter theft in this manner. Anyone who pays money in the above way is simply wasting it.

13. londonbackpackr

londonbackpackr Well-Known Member

The moment you click the shutter and capture the image, you have the copyright.

14. Helander

I understood the owner of the copyright of a photograph is the photographer depending on the content of the photograph.....ie photographs of others art work such as paintings, sculpture etc is a different issue

All my pictures on flickr are all rights reserved, I understand this doesn't restrict people from downloading or screen dumping pictures, that would be impossible but doesn't ARR protect me from people using my images without consent.

Cheers Southy, some points to consider.

15. Helander

I was posting before these posts were up, thanks for confirming this.