1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unauthorized use of photograph - what to do?

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by Diplopodus, Feb 9, 2014.

1. Donkey

Donkey Well-Known Member

I wonder how many Photo's are actually used without the owners consent from Flickr and the like !

Must be an enormous amount.

I'd be chuffed to start with but don't keep poking the Bear :(

2. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

I would say that of all my pictures that I know to be on various websites, most if not all are basically 'snapshots' either of my local area or holidays. None are what I consider 'photographs'. I'm guessing they have been chosen because hopefully they show the beauty (or otherwise) of the area in question.
    Thus, if I am asked I have never refused. Occasionally if printed in a book I have received a copy. Mostly I'll get credited for the picture. Sometimes I'm neither asked or credited. However life's too short to loose sleep over it. If Photography is your business, then yes I sympathise greatly, but if it's a hobby or pastime and someone likes your picture enough to use it then I think you've done a good job.

Edit: Excuse rambling, just come home from the pub :D

3. LargeFormat

LargeFormat Well-Known Member

Google Flickr

Welcome to Flickr - Photo Sharing

Bit of a clue there, sorry but I don't see many judges upholding copyright when the picture has been offered for sharing.

4. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

If they like the picture they should pay the artist for the privilege of using it. FACT.

Unauthorised use of something an artist has produced is theft. FACT.

What is more, it is also a matter of fact is the payment I received from a national newspaper for unauthorised use of one of my pictures. If receiving a cheque which more than covered the cost of my D3 isn't worth the "time and trouble" in your eyes then you're a richer man than me Gunga Din.

5. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Fair play Barney. I'm glad you got payment.

6. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

Then you're very wide of the mark. Flickr make it quite clear which images can be used by others under the concept "creative commons."

Any judge worth their salt would apply the law covering intellectual property rather than rely on a very lazy and blinkered interpretation of the the meaning of "sharing."

7. 2lude

2lude Well-Known Member

On a side note originally I used Flickr as a on line back up for pictures after being on here for a while I realised what a bad idea that is and all images uploaded should be of low quality and watermarked to prevent this from happening

8. alindsay

alindsay Well-Known Member

That seems common-sensical to me. 'Sharing' something on Flickr seems to me to be notionally the same sort of thing as sharing with an audience via a magazine. I had a look at the default licensing on my Flickr account, and it reads as 'all rights reserved', and I have to specifically opt for a 'Creative Commons' licence as a default. I don't have anything on my Flickr account I'd consider worth pinching, but the irritation value of someone helping himself might jar enough to make me think of putting spoiler marks on now.

9. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

A good idea for a Lightroom improvement because the one advantage it has over DPP for me is the Flickr synchronisation but this is for full resolution.

10. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

You can alter the settings in the "Publish to service" functionality. I use this for my various LCD displays I have and iPad with specified image sizes and resolutions for each.

11. Meredith

Meredith Well-Known Member

I set my Flickr publish settings in Lightroom to only send small versions of my images. You can customise the output size in every publish option.

12. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

thanks for that!

13. LargeFormat

LargeFormat Well-Known Member

The meaning of a word is that that would be understood by the man on the Clapham omnibus. Lord Denning, Master of the Rolls, always used his 1930's copy of the Oxford Dictionary.

14. alindsay

alindsay Well-Known Member

Let's abandon all the laws and statutes, and instead arm everybody with a copy of the Oxford English Dictionary.

D'you think a car sharing scheme means my neighbour can drive off with my car?

15. Vivid Blue

Vivid Blue Well-Known Member

It's happened a few times to some of my images. The worst time was when some of my poppy field images were used on a website encouraging drug use.

Each time it's happened I've asked the site to pay for use or remove - you can guess which they chose. Their defence is usually that as an image has appeared on Google it's free to use. I always put a watermark on my images on Flickr and say that they aren't for use without permission, but some people remove the watermark and just ignore the text.

There is an argument to say just accept it, but if you enter images in competitions or want to sell prints then surely having those photos used for commercial use reduces their value, or could even disqualify them from competitions?

16. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

I'll start by saying that I totally agree with previous posters saying that it's 'stealing' to use an authors image without payment or authorisation. Even simple good manners of asking cost nothing. I've never said it isn't.

However my view is this. Take Facebook for example. Users think nothing of plastering every bit of their life and lifestyle onto its pages. Where they are, What they've done, What they're doing, Who they're doing it with etc etc etc. Then they complain of lack of privacy. I don't understand.

Flickr is similar. There's no problem at all in putting pictures onto it. It's a fantastic website for photographers. Let all the world see them if you want. Show others what a good photographer you are. But accept that unless you make pictures private to be viewed by who you choose, They are available for all to see, and use.

On Googling it, the lastest figure I found is that there are approximately 650,000,000 (six hundred & fifty million) websites in the world. Admittedly only a small percentage of those will include pictures. Even so this is still going to add up to a significant number. Most of these will hopefully be honest well run websites, who if they want a picture will contact the photographer in question. That leaves the rest. Still going to be a large number. They will think nothing of seeing a picture they like, copying it, and using it for free. Perhaps as it was seen on a 'Photo Sharing' website they thought nothing wrong with it.

Accepting the fact (as I do) that sometimes your pictures may get used without your knowledge and your permission, and you don't want that to happen. What options have you got?

Make all your pictures private.
    Don't put them onto the internet.

As I opened with, I agree it's wrong to use a picture without permission. But the internet being what it is, if your picture is on for everyone to see, it's going to be virtually impossible to control its use.

17. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Not sure what that has to do with this debate, but even then, Facebook allows you to choose what you share with whom, so an abuse of that leaves people perfectly entitled to complain.

Yes.

Absolutely not!

Flickr says:

"Respect the copyright of others. This means don't steal photos or videos that other people have shared and pass them off as your own. (That’s what favorites are for.)"

Or there's another option, at least attempt to enforce your rights. As several people have pointed out, it can be pretty effective.

If you want to be a doormat, fine, that's up to you - but I think it's morally reprehensible for you to encourage others to be; fair enough to say that if you never want your images to be stolen, don't put them online, but it's a completely different thing to argue that you shouldn't stand up to thieves, and make an effort to sort thing out.

For the further avoidance of doubt, this is how Flickr says you should go about using someone else's picture. There's simply no excuse for anyone to steal it.
    [h=2]"I'd like to use a photo I found on Flickr. How do I do that?[/h]Our members share an incredible amount of amazing work on Flickr. If there is an image you'd like to use, look for the "Request to license" link near the license on the photo page. We've partnered with Getty Images who will review the image, determine if it's a good fit for licensing through them, and work out all the details if so.
    Not all members have this enabled. If you don't see it you can also contact the member directly. As a member of Flickr, you can move your mouse over someone's buddy icon and click the little arrow to open the "person menu." Then select "Send FlickrMail" and compose your message. When you contact a photographer, it's best to include as much info as possible about the photo, yourself, and how you want to use the photo. "

18. Diplopodus

Diplopodus Well-Known Member

Great news!

After following the copious amount of good advice I was given on this thread, I sent an e-mail to the offending part and go them, as you can see now, to finally take the unauthorized photograph down:

http://www.fisac-cgil.it/23129/la-grande-paura-dei-paesi-emergenti

The simple fact they have chosen to remove the photograph instead of trying to negotiate a fee, speaks books to me as to their level of professionalism and real intentions from day one, which probably were: 'Nick it while no one seems to be looking and hope for the best!'

And this outcome alone IMO, is reason enough for us passionate amateurs and hard-working professionals alike, to refuse to bow to image thieves of this kind and accept their behaviour as something inherent to modern life; therefore not being worth fighting against, as it's been suggested.

A small victory is better than no victory at all.

Thank you all again!

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
  19. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

As long as you have got the result you wished for then I'm pleased for you.

One simple question.

Why did you put the picture onto Flickr?

20. Diplopodus

Diplopodus Well-Known Member

Since answering such a rhetorical question such as this one, will quite possibly turn out to be the whip you're craving for to go on flogging this 'sharing-means- accepting-stealing-is-normal' dead horse of yours, I'm sorry but I'll politely decline to do so.