1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ubuntu Linux..............why not give it a try!

Discussion in 'Computer Related Help & Discussion' started by BigWill, Jun 16, 2007.

1. BigWill

BigWill Gorgeous oversensitive Nikon-loving cream puff

Well it's completely free open source software for a start. You can either download the iso image at Ubuntu's website Free Ubuntu Linux here: OR if you haven't got broadband (and you'll need it if you intend downloading the 700mb iso file!) then they'll even post you a completely free CD of the latest OS version (Feisty Fawn 7.04). Now how's THAT for service!

I note that Dell now offer Ubuntu Linux as an alternative operating system to Microsoft on certain of their products which speaks volumes as to the capabilities of this OS!

I myself have just successfully installed it on an ancient PII Dell Latitude laptop with only a 6gb hard drive and 256mb of RAM. Now I'd like to see anyone try and run Vista on THAT spec of machine! OK, so it ain't Vista and I'm certainly not suggesting that it can do all the things the Microsoft product can......................but you might just be pleasantly surprised at exactly what it CAN do......................so why not give it a go? It's completely free and it'll even run from the free CD giving you a chance to demo it before you decide to install it to your hard drive or not.

Comes with free Office suite (Open Office) and free image manipulating software (The gimp) Runs on PC or MAC too! :cool:

Free is good! :cool:

BigFreeWillie

P.S. I'm not a computer nerd and have very limited knowledge of computers but I have found Ubuntu Linux to be FAR the most user friendly version of Linux yet...........................if a dope like me can run it then so can anyone! :eek: :cool:

2. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

It will also run in a Microsoft Virtual PC which is a way to try it on your current Windows XP/Vista installation without the slowness of running from the CD.

3. mjc7uk

mjc7uk Well-Known Member

Thanks for the head up, I am currently using Knoppix on work machine, which act as a data recovery from a broken Windows XP!

Pretty useful software...go on give Linux a try!

4. bellyboy

bellyboy Well-Known Member

I use Linux (Knoppix) for programming as it is much easier than trying to do it in windows (unless you use microsoft's visual C# etc)

I only have the one machine, so I have the linux on a live cd which I boot up when needed.

I'm going to buy some external hard drives for my photos and also to install linux on (better than on a cd :))

5. Carrie

Carrie Well-Known Member

If switching your whole operating system is one step too far you can always try dipping your toe into the water.

The open office software mentioned by BigWill is open source and multi-platform, and is a really good alternative to Microsoft Office. --> open office website

The more people that support open source software the less a few really big players can dominate (and rule) the market.

6. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

There's a few other major programs available for Windows and Mac as well as Linux.

Firefox web browser (free)

The GIMP image editor (free)

UFRaw RAW converter (free) (works as plugin for The GIMP

Bibble RAW converter & post processing (free trial)

Also, in case people didn't realise, most Linux distributions allow you to set up a "dual boot" system, where you can have both Linux and Windows on your hard disk, and choose which system you want at start up. Linux can even read files on Windows. You just need enough free space on the disk.

Alex (who's just been trying Kubuntu, after years of SuSE)

7. BigWill

Kubuntu is nice as well. (It's really just Ubuntu with a different look using the KDE frontend). Which ever version you choose it's really worth a try and as Alex says you can either dual boot, run from the CD or completely install or simply run some of the Windows compatible applications on your PC!

There's a whole new Linux world out there to try and at last I think Linux (in the more "user friendly" forms of Ubuntu/Kubuntu etc.) is seriously becoming a viable alternative to Microsoft.

BigWill

8. Gordon_McGeachie

Gordon_McGeachie In the Stop Bath

How do we stand driver wise???

9. BigWill

It's a case of "suck it and see" really Gordon. I've found quite a lot of my hardware is supported in Ubuntu but you do get the odd bit that isn't (my present Netgear WPN111 USB network adapter being an example) yet an OLDER version (Netgear WG111v2 IS supported by Ubuntu). My Epson stylus C44 printer works fine with it also.

I've found it to be really good with wired network connections as it picks the settings up automatically without you having to configure anything.

Give it a try and see how it goes!

BigWill

10. Gordon_McGeachie

Gordon_McGeachie In the Stop Bath

Thanks BigWill

11. willie45

willie45 Well-Known Member

Hi Bigwill

I'm with you on this linux thing.I downloaded ubuntu and, after a bit of learning, I really have been impressed. Thanks for the tip. I knew you were a man of taste after our brief mention of the delightful "Famous Grouse", and the excursion into linux has been an eye opener. If you lived nearer I'd buy you a dram or two.

To be honest I've had a bit of an about turn re operating systems. I have really enjoyed the linux thing and I am actually seriously considering switching to Apple!! This was following a visit to their store in Bluewater. I am quite impressed with the staff there and their knowledge. It seemed a whole lot different from how I remember them 7 years ago.

Anyway will thanks for the linux tip. It's been a lot of fun, and it really works well.

Willie

12. Dom_Rivers

Dom_Rivers Well-Known Member

The only piece of advice I'd give about Ubuntu is to plug in all your peripherals when you are installing it, I've always found it a lot easier to let it recognise everything itself on the initial installation than to find and load the drivers yourself later.
    Other than that it works a treat, I do find GIMP a bit baffling mind.

13. willie45

I have to admit that I can't seem to get it to play DVDs or music though. I read some gobbledegook in their forums but it made no sense to me. I suppose I need to take a bit of time to check it out. However, if by any chance anyone can enlighten me I would be most grateful.

Thanks

Willie

14. Meredith

Meredith Well-Known Member

Ubuntu won't play DVD's out of the box as it would be illegal to install the necessary decryption gubbins. You can quite easily install them yourself though.

Ubuntu should play wav files fine. I'm not sure about mp3s. I had to work out how to unmute my digital audio output before I could hear anything in Ubuntu though. Again installing any necessary files should be easy to do once you know what they are.

With the latest version - 7.04 Feisy Fawn - when you try and play some media when you havn't got the right codecs install it will ask you if you want to install them. It dod this when I forst tried to play an mpeg file.

15. willie45

Hi Meredith,

I know but the installation procedure isn't really familiar to me. I just need to get to grips with the system and work out how to use the sudo command thing and terminals etc.

I put a DVD in and it just does nothing. I looked at the ubuntu forum and there is a stick there describing which commands I need to enter but unfortunately I haven't got to grips with where to enter them yet :D

All will become clear I have no doubt. It's quite an interesting change from windows though

Willie

16. Dom_Rivers

Dom_Rivers Well-Known Member

You don't have to enter anything on any command lines, Willie just update the software (I'm desperately trying to remember the name of the thing you click on to view the updates available), when you are presented with a list tick all the media player ones then they will download and install, stick your DVD in and, if it doesn't start automatically, right click and "open with" choosing the name of one of the media players you've just loaded.

17. Meredith

Meredith Well-Known Member

That is not true for DVD playback. You have to manually install the libdvdcss2 library due to legal reasons. It is possible not to use the terminal to do it if you use the package installer thingy - I can't remeber what is called offhand.

18. liamjames91

liamjames91 Well-Known Member

i used to use ubuntu, but got new laptop and the touchpad dosent work :( , there is a workaround but i dont have the time anymore to mess with ubuntu like i used to like doing :( working now, so havent got as much time, and got a D80 so id rather be playing round with that :) ubuntu really is amazing, and theyve integrated the visual effects aswell now, which blows anything vista has out the water!! and theres no risk of viruses, no spyware, no trojans, no malware oh the list goes on........

19. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

So, it's great, fantastic, wonderful - but doesn't work? Hmmm, I'm convinced - not. :D

20. liamjames91

liamjames91 Well-Known Member

no, it works perfectly on most computers, you have to remember that there is no super company anywhere near microsoft backing it financially, and they cant have a driver for absolutely every bit of hardware on the market, though in time maybe........