1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Uber, Über Alles?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Andrew Flannigan, Sep 23, 2017.

1. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

500,000 people supporting Uber's appeal against the loss of its London licence. Sensible response or the blind drunk supporting blind greed? The claim is that 40,000 drivers will lose their jobs but what about the 134,000 licenced taxi drivers being undercut by the Uber operation?

Olympus SP570uz 2160009.JPG

2. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

If Uber didn't operate like dodgy shysters they'd not have lost it. Blame squarely lies with them.

PeatSmoke, Mark101, Trannifan and 2 others like this.
  3. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Heute, unter!

Mit freundlich Grueßen,

R.

4. Andrew Flannigan

Danke vielmals :D

5. IvorCamera

IvorCamera Well-Known Member

Danke... Merci....holy sh...whats going on?

Zou likes this.
  6. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Just like being in the EU...

7. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Uber is a great idea! I am totally in favour of making my life easier via the ruthless exploitation of everyone else. This is why I wear T-shorts and trainers made by children in sweatshops in Bangladesh, eat Thai shrimps, and always fly Ryanair!

By the same token, it's a great idea to use the AP website without buying the magazine.

And David: well, actually, the EU supports human rights. I take it you were saying that you do too?

Cheers,

R.

Mark101 likes this.
  8. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

..definitely am a supporter of HR
    What I was referring to was the judicious use of .different languages (and that was just in this thread)

Double Dutch, Gibberish and even Good old Codswallop...;)

Roger Hicks likes this.
  9. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

I wish you luck at the moment!!

Lynn

10. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

I believe Ryanair are currently trialing pilotless planes....

Cheers, Jeff

11. Andrew Flannigan

Michael O'Leary has already apologised to the passengers who will take the first pilotless flights to Rome but will end up in Reykjavik.

12. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

I can't comment about Uber pricing in London, but there have been a number of complaints in this area about high pricing, Uber don't run to set tariffs in the same way as Hackney Carriages or the majority of licensed Private Hire Vehicles/Minicabs. When it gets busier they increase their charges quite significantly it seems.

13. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

They're having a trial of passengerless ones at the moment....

Trannifan and Roger Hicks like this.
  14. IvorCamera

IvorCamera Well-Known Member

Just tried to book with Ryanair and they said its £50 more with a pilot....

Trannifan likes this.
  15. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

I hear getting it off the ground was a great sucess .
    The navigation side of things is working great too , it's nearly at it's destination .

Now if they can just figure out how the hell their going to land it they might roll it out to all their planes !

Any coincedence that the film "Airplane" has just been on the TV again ?

16. neilt3

neilt3 Well-Known Member

Tell them you can fly it and they'll let you on for free .
    You'll still have to buy your own water and food if you want a break though .

17. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

It unsettles me when pilots have a break. Especially when they're flying the plane I'm sitting in (on). Not sure if it's in or on?.
    Funny how we get 'in' a car, yet we get 'on' a bus, plane, train....... :confused:

18. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

I'm sure i heard a story about O'Leary going into a bar and asking the bar-keep for a recommendation.." We have a a fine Belgian beer for £4, a genuine German lager for £4.50, an English bitter for £4.30 and Guinness fresh from the brewery for £2." Without any hesitation the order is placed. "I'll have the fresh Guinness please" he says placing the coins on the bar.
    The bar-keep smiles and says.. "Now then Mr O'Leary...will you be wanting a glass with that?"

Graeme

19. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

I've never used Uber nor do I quite understand how it works-you contact them and they send you a car? But I don't see how that differs from calling the minicab office?

20. Andrew Flannigan

In some places not at all. In other places you get someone who's been tested and licenced. The bonus of using Uber is that you're guaranteed that if the driver has committed a serious crime Uber will have concealed the fact from the police and licencing authority. :confused: