1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tyre Speed Rating

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Brian, Nov 8, 2018 at 8:47 AM.

1. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

Seeing that we are all subject to a speed limit of 70MPH is there any point in getting tyres rated at 160 MPH in my case.

Wonder re Insurance.

2. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

...or is there any point in having a car that will do 160 mph? ;)

3. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Don’t you have to have the recommended rating or above on your car anyway. I believe you can’t go lower.

4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Commonsensically not, but you'll probably have trouble finding a type-approved tyre with a different speed rating.

5. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

I'm guessing the rule is, you must use tyres that are capable of dealing with the speed/power it is capable of delivering? There's obviously one exception allowed, which applies to the modern tempory spare tyre, as that has a much lower speed rating.

6. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Yes; you will likely get a better quality tyre.

That said the yanks recently did some testing that suggested that premium tyres didn't necessarily outperform budget tyres when worn.

Good for fuel economy but not so good for grip is my experience with cheap tyres. I had some arrowspeed and some bravius or whatever they are called and wouldn't buy another set. They cheap and tyres I got on my current car were rubbish too and will likely sit in my garage until they perish. I went for Bridgestone T005 this time as they updated them early this year and I wanted a good touring tyre for summer.

7. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

And BTW check the "made in...." data on your tyres.....I think they might be about to get a lot more expensive!:(

8. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

I suppose it could be contended that the car could be taken onto a German Autobahn!

9. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Cheap tyres tend to be just that. My first Giulietta had a full set of some budget tyre, I can't recall the brand, the road noise was almost unbearable at any speed over 50mph and the wet road grip was non-existent. I replaced them with a set of Michelin Primacy, the car was transformed to what it was meant to be. I never buy the cheap stuff, tyres are safety critical items, I have taken a number of cheapies off cars that I have bought, always bringing a marked improvement. My local independent tyre bay, with whom I have a long standing customer relationship, consider Nexen to be the best of the cheaper tyres, but also stocks cheaper brands, to cater for customer demand.

What I find a bit difficult to understand is why the owner of a car that is worth many thousands of pounds will skimp on tyres for the sake of a fraction of that.

Gezza, Learning and dream_police like this.
  10. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Not tried them but primacy seem better suited to motorway miles (good on fuel and noise) but not as grippy as the pilot sport which seems to be the Michelin equivalent of the Bridgestones I got. Primacy have more rounded shoulders and squishier looking sidewalls.

Get the pilot sports next time?;)

11. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

Interesting points.

Bit academic as my car is only a year old and has less then 3000 on the clock. It was just a subject that cropped up in the pub the other night.
    None at all, bit like all my photographic clutter.....don't need it, just want it.

12. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

A few decades ago, Barum tyres were the ones motorcyclists used to avoid like the plague unless you enjoyed sliding around at anything over30 mph!

13. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Brian,

No, not all of us. Here in France I can legally ride my BMW R100RS at 130 km/h, 81 mph, and if I cross over into Germany there are no limits on many autobahns: I've seen 140 mph on the clock, which after allowing for the centrifugal expansion of the tyres might even be in sight of the truth. It's twin-plugged, gas-flowed and with enlarged oilways (oil cavitation is a risk at sustained high speeds) so I can run it at the rev limit OK.

Of course if you choose to limit yourself to the UK, it's another matter

The real question is why you would not want tyres safe at any speed of which your vehicle is capable. Also, a couple of years ago when my father was dying, I had to get over to the UK a bit quickly in the car -- before I could replace my tyres. By the time I got to Scotland their legality was, to be generous, disputable. Normally I buy Michelins for cars (Contis for bikes) but in order not to get nicked I bought some types that the local tyre-wallah had in stock; a brand I'd never heard of.

They were awful: poor grip, noisy, slippery in hot weather (!). After a few thousand miles I replaced them, even though they were hardly worn, with my usuial Michelins. It transformed the car -- and I'm not talking about a supercar here, just a very elderly Peugeot 309.

As far as I can see, an insurer may or may not accept lower-rated tyres; but given the honesty, trustworthiness and willingness to pay out of the average insurer, it's a gamble I'd not be willing to take.

Cheers,

R.

John Farrell and GeoffR like this.
  14. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

As an aside my next door neighbour is having trouble with her wheels and tyres just now as a previous owner put massive wheels and little tyres on it.

When she first got it (an Audi S3) I thought the tyres on it were too narrow as somebody had cheaped out on the tyres bus as it would now appear it is the wheels that are too big and the stretched tyres are all that will fit under the arches.

She now has 2 wheels with what looks like pot hole damage with dented and cracked the rims because the tyres are 35 section and stretched so the sidewall is at an angle and appears to offer very little cushioning between the rim and ground. Looking at the damaged wheels earlier the back of them said RS6-08 so my guess is somebody has put the wheels off an RS6 on an S3 and now my neighbour is looking to replace 2 wheels that came off what was a £100,000 car (or something in that ballpark anyway).

My suggestion was ditch the flashy 19" wheels with the compromised tyres and get a full set of wheels and tyres the right size for it.

15. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Standard fitting on Skodas at that time as well.

16. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

These large wheels and rubber band tyres have disadvantages, apart from the aesthetics. There is little compliance in the combination, so the ride tends to be very unforgiving of road defects, tyre replacement costs are high, along with short life and the rims are easily damaged on kerbs and aforementioned road defects.

Roger Hicks likes this.
  17. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Absolutely...think this is the 3rd time I've seen a spacesaver on it since she got it in summer. Poor lass has had some expensive vet bills since getting it too...Cash lives next door to Tango!