1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Typo on front cover of 28/04/2012 magazine?

Discussion in 'AP Magazine Feedback & Suggestions' started by P_Stoddart, Apr 24, 2012.

1. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

2. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

No it's not you, AP got it wrong. It uses the new Sony 36.3 MP sensor, 7,360 x 4,912. Full frame 35.9mm x 24.0mm. This tranlates to a new ~4.9 micron pixel size.
  3. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

[pendant]Both wrong, that's ~34.5 MP. (1M = 2^20 = 1048576 in computer terms.)[/pedant]

Irrelevant anyway. 34.5, 36 or 38 are all far more than I need, or want.
  4. LargeFormat

LargeFormat Well-Known Member

Well 7,360 x 4,912 is 36.15MP which is about what Roger says. However, The total pixell size of a sensor is rather larger than the effective number of pixells so without more information it will be somewhat more than 36MP anyway.
  5. Roger_Provins

Roger_Provins Well-Known Member

I assumed the difference between the straight multiplication (36.15) and the Nikon quoted (36.3) is usable and actual pixels.
  6. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Incorrect pedantry, because the usage you're quoting is in itself wrong - by definition, the "M" means 1,000,000.

I actually think Nikon are about in the right area in terms of pixels, but I certainly agree that it matters not one jot if it's 34.5, 36.2 or 38MP.
  7. P_Stoddart

Value I've seen is 36.56MP on a certain website that Benchista is not a fan of. :p

Also I believe AP usually quote the pixel count that is generated by the output of the camera. ie say Photoshop displaying.

So it does seem a oops by someone at AP. :D
  8. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

www.nikon.co.uk ? :rolleyes:
  9. Damien_Demolder

Damien_Demolder Well-Known Member

Sorry, I was in the middle of counting them when my mother called about my cousin's wedding and who hasn't been invited. She's also worried the bride's father hasn't made proper preparations should it rain, and that Aunty June doesn't get on with Aunty Christine's second husband, and they are next to each other at lunch and that always causes problems. And then there's the gluten-free cake...

Took my eye off the magnifier and must have lost my place.
  10. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

excuses excuses....pah :p:D
  11. P_Stoddart

Yeah, it was so much easier in the good old days when there were fewer of the little b*ggers. Now you need such a big magnifying glass to work through them. You will have to get the tea person to help next time. :p :D

Especially when there are 64 million to work through. :rolleyes:

Maybe a few spilled over from the 5DMKIII review last week. :)
  12. RonClark

RonClark Well-Known Member

Yeah, veery good Damien. It's about what I thought about this thread
  13. singingsnapper

singingsnapper Well-Known Member

14. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

You need a better magnifying glass than I've got to see them anyway......they're hidden under layers of 'privacy glass' at the bottom of a hole that eats all your working distance and makes it tricky to get light in.

Dismanlting the camera only solves two of those problems as I still couldn't get the stuff off the sensor:eek::eek:;)

PS. the camera was already broken beyond economical repair.
  15. Alex1994

Alex1994 Well-Known Member

It fits in with recent AP cover stories, which do seem a bit sensational, presumably to help sales, such as last week's EOS 5D MKIII cover: 'Is this the ultimate DSLR', and the one a few weeks ago asking if the Fuji X Pro1 is better than the Leica M9. :)
  16. P_Stoddart

Yeah, you got to have a grab line to fight for your position on the stand.

I sometimes have real trouble finding the mag in say WHS etc. Drives me mad.
  17. singingsnapper

I seem to remember them having a question mark on those though. With the D800 it looks like a statement that would suggest that I sell my 645D and my 5D mk III. From a mag like AP I think it's important to be clear whether it is a statement or a question.

If it's a statement then I think it's very brave of AP to suggest that the D800 is better than say the Phase One 80mp.

I think the D800 is very capable, and if I wasn't already linked up with Canon gear it would most likely be my fall back camera for my 645D (which is currently awaiting a very expensive repair thanks to the unreliability of the Sunsniper strap).

I definitely wouldn't agree that the D800 beats my Pentax 645D so I think that it is unlikely to be a statement that AP intends. I have to say it's pretty poor that these things are missed from the front cover of a major photog. magazine.

Or is AP really endorsing the D800 as being better than Medium format? I think we should be told!
  18. P_Stoddart

This could be why. :)

It is rated by them above all MF! :eek:

Even I was not expecting that. Which surely makes it at this time the ultimate dSLR.

They rated 4 score points above the nearest MF.

The real question is will the almost certain to be released D4x (48MP+) top it?

The DR is bound to be as good if not better than the D800 coupled with the high MPs.
  19. singingsnapper

But don't Nikon pay DxO? That would always make me doubt the accuracy of their findings. The old saying that he who pays the piper....

besides that, photography is more than just technicalities. It is also about how a shot makes you feel, and that can't be measured by DxO or anyone else. There is no way that the D800 is better than say the Phase One. I'm not just talking mp wars. There's more to it than that.
  20. P_Stoddart

Well until this camera was released PhaseOne was their top machine.

But look at the comparision if the figure are correct. You can see why.

It way better noise ceiling, better DR & a good MP count.

Then you factor (which DxOmark don't it's sensor only) small package, lower price, higher FPS than any MF can manage.

The Nikon people have stated publicly there are attacking the MF market. That is their new hunting ground for sales. Hence the D800E.

But I agree I think AP should not have made such a absolute statement it should have been a question.

It is for photographers to work out if it is a MF replacement. MF gives even better DOF than a 35mm dSLR so some will not move away from that. Also with some MFs have a module system. Upgrading sensors is alot easier.

I think we will see a strong move to get to 100MP and above for MF. Is that needed?

For extreme large printing A0 and cropped A1 maybe if you want mind blowing detail. :rolleyes: