1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tyne & Wear Locations

Discussion in 'Photographic Locations' started by purplenessmetal, Feb 25, 2014.

1. purplenessmetal

purplenessmetal Well-Known Member

Hi,

Could anybody recommend some locations for me In the North East(Tyne & Wear) to take scenic pictures? (except quayside as I have already covered that part yesterday).

Thanks in advance.

2. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

You have scratched the surface of the quayside!

Apart from there, for starters, there is Tynemouth, Whitley Bay and the Fish Quay at North Shields. All places quite diffeent from each other within a few miles.

3. purplenessmetal

purplenessmetal Well-Known Member

Thank you I will check them out. Any places in Sunderland Area?

4. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

I'm not very familiar with Sunderland, but there are some good bridges crossing the river. The Winter Gardens and surrounds are apparently pleasant, but I am not speaking from experience. One thing I would advise though, unless accompanied keep away from the docks area.

5. Robin Peters

Robin Peters Member

If you can motor around a bit, I recommend west & south-west of Newcastle.
    To the west, of course, is Hadrian's wall country: classic locations such as Sycamore Gap, but keep your eyes open as it's all beautiful.
    South-west is County Durham: I love the road down from Blanchland across Stanhope Common to Stanhope, in Weardale, then carry on south to Barnard Castle in Teesdale. Before reaching BC, though, turn west around Middleton-in-Teesdale to reach High Force waterfall.
    North-west of Newcastle there's Kielder Forest and Northumberland's protected Dark Sky Area, if you fancy some astrophotography.

6. briang98

briang98 Member

What about Seven Sisters at Houghton le Spring, Penshaw Monument both near Sunderland and all the old buildings around the City itself

7. bertsnaps

bertsnaps New Member

hi sorry to take this in another direction but this seemed the most appropriate thread. myself and some friends want to get some photography in Newcastle with the city rooftops being the background for our subject. can any of you suggest buildings that are high enough up to see down onto others or even buildings that allow photographers to use the roof? any help would be greatly appreciated

thank you :)

8. Stevet

Stevet Well-Known Member

9. bertsnaps

bertsnaps New Member

Yeah I never thought about that carpark brilliant!..and yeah those photos are the exact kind of colours I'm looking for

10. d123

d123 Well-Known Member

11. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

The Castle Keep is a well known vantage point with rooftop access, you need a reasonable level of fitness, there are a large number of narrow spiralling stone steps to negotiate, there is a charge for entry to this location. Other than thar try the multistorey carparks.

12. DigiDiva

DigiDiva Active Member

Hi. I know this is late from when it was first posted but I'm from Sunderland and have some great locations to recommend. Simpson street school deprford beside B&Q. Its very characteristic and fairly derelict. Pallion where the old shop yards were and is now the retail park. Down the bank on the right is the derelict entrance to the shipyards. Dramatic monks to be taken there. On the riverside beside the ropery pub can be great with all the little boats lined up. Herrington park lake at sunset. This is just a handful not to mention seaburn and roker.