1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Two takes on clouds

Discussion in 'Appraisal Gallery' started by tijotjc, Sep 7, 2013.

1. tijotjc

tijotjc Well-Known Member

Camera: Nikon D5100
    Lens: Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR

[​IMG][​IMG]

Taken at random. Did some editing using Photoshop. Didn't know which one to post, can you tell me which one you prefer.

Thanks for looking

2. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

First looks more natural to me, but neither is really more than a snap. Not a keeper for me.

3. southonline

southonline Well-Known Member

When your out you see these stunning cloud formations and take photos but its often the case when looking back at the image on the monitor you really wonder just why

I'm with RM

4. Clodhopper

Clodhopper Well-Known Member

The first is slightly less mangled than the second, so is the one I prefer. Neither are particularly spectacular, just pretty regular cumulus clouds, slightly over-edited. A sky has to be pretty special to hold up as a photo all by itself. Check out "Tornado Titans" for some really good examples of cloud formations! Even they include a little of the landscape to put the clouds in perspective.

5. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I have to agree with everyone else here. They might have worked (or at least, the first might have worked) as part of a wider landscape, but on their own there's not much point to them really.

6. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

It would look rather good with a decent landscape underneath it - it's a good picture element, but not an engaging subject in its own right. As such, the better one is whichever worked better with what's underneath.

7. Caulkhead

Caulkhead Well-Known Member

WHS. Nicely coloured record shots but to be something more you really need something else to show the massive scale of the clouds- say an horizon at he bottom of the image.

8. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Save them to put in a picture with a poor sky