1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Two Summilux lenses--

Discussion in 'Leica Camera Chat' started by PeteE, Oct 24, 2016.

1. PeteE

PeteE Well-Known Member

[​IMG]Two Summilux lenses by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
    My two 35mm f1.4 early SUMMILUX lenses -- one is CANADIAN on the RIGHT and made 1966, the other is GERMAN made 1988. They are both very 'Soft' at f1.4. I have just switched back to the GERMAN one as some latest tests with the Canadian on my 1965 LEICA M2 were soft at f2.8 and f4 -- not as good as my 35mm PENTAX Super- Takumar f2 for example.

2. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Pete,

But a lot better at f/1.4...

Cheers,

R.

Andrew Flannigan likes this.
  3. PeteE

PeteE Well-Known Member

Here is a photo taken at 1/1000th sec @ f4 on Kodak T-max 100 so should be no camera shake and a fine grained film and really not so good as i would have thought --
    [​IMG]M2 October 02 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr

Here is one taken at f2.8 and I focused on the foreground bloke and got a fairly fast speed and film was done in Rodinal 1+50

[​IMG]M2 October 06 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr

These were on my serviced 1965 M2 -- had erratic slow speeds-- I am wondering if camera technician has upset the lens flange register although really no need to take it off.

4. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

Sorry I'm coming in late on your thread, but have you considered measuring the flange to film distance - using a depth micrometer? Decades ago, I was satisfied with my Minolta SRT101 until I tried it with a 28mm Minolta lens. This led me to measuring the register, and it was out. So I did some adjustments which not only got the 28mm looking respectable, but produced some dramatic improvements with my standard lens, the 50 F/1.7.

5. PeteE

PeteE Well-Known Member

Malcolm : thanks for your 'input' -- I don't know anyone with a 'Depth Micrometer' so will just have to do some more 'tests' with M2. By the way i was GIVEN a good Minolta SR-T100X and with a Minolta MC 28mm f3.5 lens and it is SHARP !

6. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

A flange to film problem is really the same as a back focus problem and the classic method of checking this is with a ruler and a pencil - for example:

DOF.JPG

7. Malcolm_Stewart

Morning Roger, your slide rule could now be worth more than your camera! I was surprised at how high the prices had climbed for what I once regarded as a working tool!

8. RogerMac

Malcolm

Where did you get the prices of slide rules from? I have at least another two tucked away somewhere that I would be happy to sell but this one has been a like a personal friend since I was at college and I would need a really. really good offer to make me part with it!

Thanks

Roger

9. Malcolm_Stewart

I can't remember now, but it might have been eBay a few years ago, and the high price certainly surprised me at the time.
    This listing of prices achieved
    http://www.sliderules.info/prices/jul08/fandc.htm
    gives some indication of the wide range of prices. I think I've got three slide rules tucked away, and I do remember them being very treasured possessions 50 years ago!

RogerMac likes this.
  10. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

A friend of mine collects them. He tells me that there are people asking big money for them but he generally pays less than £10 a go. He asked me to take some pictures for him...

[​IMG]

RogerMac likes this.
  11. RogerMac

Thank you both for the replies. Here is a picture of two I have. The small one is a pocket one that came out of my fathers desk and I have never used. Th larger one is the recommended one from the Cambridge Engineering labs of 60 years ago, the funny scales at the top are a very clever trick to get trigonometrical functions without needing dedicated scales. I have completely forgotten how to use them! On the back are some interesting conversion formula and constants that some would consider cheating if taken on paper into an exam - but the thinking was that if everybody had the same notes nobody gained an advantage

Rulers.JPG

Andrew Flannigan likes this.