1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Two Lancs booked for Bournemouth Air show

Discussion in 'Forthcoming Events' started by Dorset_Mike, May 8, 2014.

1. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

Never knew there were two flyable, but one is coming over from Canada ibn August and will team up with the one from the Battle of Britain flight. I did get to "work" in a grounded one at RAF No2 Radio school in 1952, some years later I worked on the Vulcan XH588, so for me a bit of a nostalgia trip!

2. TimHeath

TimHeath Well-Known Member

In addition to the BBMF example, the Canadian 'plane is the only other Lancaster flying today I believe, just imagine the sound of those eight Merlin engines together!

I suspect that both aircraft will do the rounds of the air shows over the summer, I would love to see the two of them flying together.

I read that a passenger trip from Canada to the UK in the Lanc has been auctioned on eBay, the reserve set at £25K!

3. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

The Canuck is due in UK August 8th, coming via Goose Bay, Greenland & Iceland.

If it flies with the BBMF you'd have 10 Merlins!

Lancs flying at Bournemouth on the Saturday and Sunday 30/31 August

4. 0lybacker

0lybacker In the Stop Bath

Hope they don't bump into each other.

I was at Tankerton one time when the BoBMF team did a 'flypast' on their way from Margate to home or another display. They did a low pass, bomb doors open on the Lanc, a wide turn then another pass with the fighters in tight formation, Spit in the lead. As they tight-turned away to depart, the Hurricane was suddenly faced with a rapidly approaching rear gun turret on the Lanc and had to make an interesting manouvre that may not have been part of their usual display pattern.

I suspect there may have been some interesting R/T traffic afterwards. :)