1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Two iPhones and iCloud ?

Discussion in 'Smartphone photography' started by willie45, Jan 19, 2018.

1. willie45

willie45 Well-Known Member

Hello,

I have a work iPhone X and a personal iPhone 6s. Obviously the camera features on the X are superior and I'd like to use it as my main phone for photography. However, I'd like to get these photos onto my own iCloud account and edit them etc. Can you please advise me on the best way to do this? I'm a bit confused because I don't know if I'd need to simply transfer the pictures via USB or Airdrop onto my Mac and then upload them to my own iCloud Photos? Is this the only way to do it? Are there disadvantages to this approach? Is there a better alternative?

I'm assuming I can use newer features like Portrait Lighting blurred backgrounds etc on Photos on my own Mac if I transfer the X pics to it. Is this right?

Thank you for your help

2. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I'd guess it depends on how your work phone is configured. I don't make use of icloud across my apple devices but my understanding is that each device has the same view of your files when you are signed in. Your work phone might be set up for work only. I don't know what the storage limits on Icloud are. The microsoft equivalent OneDrive was limited last year. I only use the business version for files I need acces to from a laptop. It saves a lot of hassle manually synching machines.

3. willie45

Thanks, Pete. I might need to do a bit of research. I don't really know what my options are with iCloud as I've never used it, the price being pretty high. However, it's now come down a lot and is cheaper than eg Dropbox and has aroused my interest.

4. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

I haven't tried it, but if you use the same Apple ID on each device it should work.

5. willie45

Hi thanks. Yes, I guess I could but I'm a bit wary of doing that as I would like to keep my work ID and personal ID separate. I can just use USB to transfer photos to my laptop and it seems the safest way at the moment. I have noticed thought that if I use iCloud to transfer RAW files it works fine and stacks a JPEG and RAW file for each picture and I can easily manage them but if I use USB it initially shows the RAW file as an envelope with no information or preview. Weird but I guess I can work around it.

6. Gezza

Gezza Well-Known Member

I don’t take too many on iPhone so find it easiest to just airdrop them.

7. willie45

I might stick to airdrop for now myself. I have had a thought. If I set up family sharing with my work account that should work shouldn't it? It should allow me to load pictures to the same iCloud account as long as I bought the 200Gb package which isn''t too bad at £2.49 a month. I'm wondering if I could just set this up for times when I am likely to take more photos eg on holiday. I could run this for a month at a time.

Obviously I wouldn't share the buying of apps etc and would only use it for iCloud.

Gezza likes this.