1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TV, Cinema & Magnum

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by SXH, Sep 17, 2017.

1. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Tonight, 22:00 on BBC4 - "Cinema Through the Eye of Magnum".

More details here.

Sorry for the short notice.

ETA: and a longish article here.

proseak, Geren and AlanW like this.
  2. proseak

proseak Well-Known Member

Thanks for this!

Roger Hicks likes this.
  3. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Is that Magnum .357 or Magnum .44? I have only the latter and unfortunately it's in California.

Seriously, thanks.

Cheers,

R.

4. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Neither. They're talking about ice lollies.

Trannifan and Roger Hicks like this.
  5. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

More yer actual choc ice on a stick

Geren and EightBitTony like this.
  6. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

It being BBC4, probably .22 Magnum - yep, it does exist. :eek:

Mind you, Hollywood is in California too...

7. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

iPlayer it is for me then - thanks for the pointer!

8. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

I found it quite interesting. And an interesting demonstration of it's not what you know, it's who you know.

9. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

I missed the first 10 minutes of this - got lumbered taking someone in my car - Considering Magnum's involvement in cinema, I'm surprised (presumably Magnum) hadn't agreed or organized something like this some years ago when some of these people were still alive. The back story (if that's the right term) presented in this, with Magnum's photographers recalling their experiences, makes this all the more interesting.

By the way, the concept of the Magnum chocolate ice cream using a stick was reputedly proposed by of all people, the actor Roger Moore ....

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
  10. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

Go to parties, talk to people, put yourself out there .... it's all about networking!

Roger Hicks likes this.
  11. Footloose

Being a semi-introvert who just doesn't 'get' why people engage in small talk .... Ughhh!

steveandthedogs likes this.
  12. Roger Hicks

Dear Alan,

Exactly. If no-one ever sees your work, how is anyone going to know about it?

Of course "who you know" is important, and especially in England too much of it is "who you were at school and/or university with" (or of course "with whom you were at school and/or university"). In photography, though, a very great deal depends on meeting fellow photographers everywhere -- fellow photographers, that is, who make an effort to meet one another. This is why I urge anyone who can possibly afford it to go to the Rencontres at Arles at least once (and preferably every year). At a rough guess, close to a quarter of the photographers whose work appears in Final Analysis -- a page dedicated to good photography, and superb exposure -- are people I met at Arles. "Who they know" is just me; and what we have in common is that we go to as many exhibitions and vernissages (first nights) as we possibly can, to see the pictures and meet fellow enthusiasts. We sure as Hell weren't at school or university together.

At that, I don't like the word "networking". I like meeting agreeable people who are also good photographers whose work I can promote. "Networking" as an end in itself is too instrumental, trying to use people. Of course you can say that I use their pictures and that they use me to get their pictures promoted. But it doesn't really work like that. The spark of connexion, the incipient friendship, comes first. I've "met" others through personal recommendations, social media, and "cold" invitations to vernissages (which I can almost never afford to attend -- even a month's columns would barely pay for a trip to another city and a night in an hotel).

We all need each other. That's what photography is about. Yes, it's easier to be a hermit. But then, lots of things are easy.

Cheers,

R.

Geren, peterba and AlanW like this.
  13. Roger Hicks

Try large talk. Easier after a few drinks...

Cheers,

R.

14. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

I agree about 'Networking', Roger - and it's a valid distinction that you draw between the meeting of agreeable and like-minded people, and the more-exploitative sounding 'Networking' so commonly bandied around in tedious business circles.

AndyTake2, Footloose and Roger Hicks like this.
  15. Footloose

Bringing the discussion back to BBC4, Last night there was 'Letters from Bagdad' about Gertrude Bell, who was looked upon with some disdain by men than she certainly should have been, followed by 'The legacy of Lawrence (This is part 1 - Part 2 is tomorrow at 23.00) and how he 'managed' the Arabs during WW1. His book 'Seven pillars of wisdom' is apparently supposed to be required reading by the US forces, but it seems they just don't 'get' how TEL operated.

SXH likes this.
  16. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

My 2nd. copy, in paperback, is by my computer desk - I've mislaid my copy of what I think might have been the original edition, but I'm sure it will turn up. I really must start reading it, instead of luxuriating in David Lean's film. I found Rory Stewart's film illuminating, and am looking forward to part 2.

17. Footloose

You're darn right there, about 'Luxuriating' in the film! I also have a copy of Robert Graves 'Lawrence and the Arabs' and 'The Mint' under the name of A/C Ross. Apparently, In 1934 Lawrence discovered that the producer Alexander Korda was proposing to make a film about his exploits but then changed his mind on this following pressure from Lawrence. I often wonder what TEL's original draft of his book contained - which he mislaid on Reading railway station.

18. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

And next Monday (the 25th), again on BBC4, at the earlier time of 19:30, Through the Lens of Larkin.

Apparently on tonight as well - but only in Yorkshire! o_O

I quite like his poetry - lets see how I get on with his pictures!

19. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Well, it was quite interesting, if a little short and concentrated mainly on how his photography fed into his poetry.

I could have done without the person reading the poetry excerpts. Or at least they could have got someone who could read them in a less stilted manner!