1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tour de France - Forum Day Out

Discussion in 'Forthcoming Events' started by Lounge Lizard, Mar 11, 2007.

1. grouse

grouse Well-Known Member

The Tour is going right through my town - Ashford!
    They should be well knackered by the time they get here so should make photography a bit easier.
    They have a pretty steep hill to climb once they leave the town.....that'll sort them out!

2. Per

Per Well-Known Member

Sorry to disagree, but they'll probably speed up during the last hour and dispense with small hills on the big ring, so you'll need that fast lens!

You're best bet is that there is a breakaway composed of riders with no chance on GC, and the major teams allow them to get away - in which case you'll see the peloton across the full width of the road - amazing

3. crymble

crymble Well-Known Member

If you are anywhere near the end of the stage then 'Per' is right. The teams with sprinters will be trying to pull in any breaks to allow their guys to win at the end - and anyone who has managed to get away will be flat out trying to keep in the lead.

They may be knackered, but they will not be slowing down!

K

4. grouse

grouse Well-Known Member

OK then....I'll shoot the slow b*ggers at the back with the flat tyres then :)

5. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

How can you shoot someone with a flat tyre? I thougt you needed a camera.

Have a good day, I took photos of a local biker race in France a couple of years back, quite a colourful day.

David.

6. Per

Per Well-Known Member

That's not easy either. The rider puts an arm up and/or calls on the radio to alert the team car, followed by an 8 second wheel change and push off (by a mechanic who is out of the car running with the wheel before the car or rider stops) plus team mates to take the rider back through the cars (using them for slipstream) to the back of the bunch.

Oh, and the entire route is checked and surfaces repaired beforehand. Pileups (chutes) happen, generally due to a touch of wheels) but the photographers, medics and mechanics are in there like a shot so even if it happens infront of you you might have trouble getting a good view!

7. crymble

If you want to do it properly then look at GRAHAM WATSON'S page.

He's got a load of pictures on here, and if you look he has got an 'Ask Graham' section with answeres to things he is asked - some about the cycling, some about the photography.

K

P.S. You can also dig through your back issues of AP as I'm pretty sure there was an article about him last year.

8. salopian

salopian Member

Although a newcomer I will be at the prologue time trial and hope to be between Tunbridge and Tunbridge Wells on the first stage. This is part of our holiday down south in the caravan.
    Mike

9. shedend

shedend Member

It's the second time in the UK for "LE Tour". A few years ago it went through Hampshire and West Sussex for a couple of days.

10. Hotblack

Hotblack Dead Horse Flogger

Having initially said I'd go I'm now going to have to pass on this one. It's the Beyond the Border Storytelling Festival over the same weekend and I'm booked to go there.

11. velocette

velocette Well-Known Member

If anyone wants to have a bit of practice first there’s a race around Smithfield Market on the evening of June 23 called the Smithfield Nocturne. There will be a number of races during the evening featuring some of Britain’s top cyclists and invited guests including Olympic medallist Rob Hales. Could be a good evening with plenty of photo opportunities and nearby ‘rest areas’ to shelter in should dehydration loom.

12. scm

scm Well-Known Member

Third, actually. In 1974 it visited the south of England with a boring stage up and down the newly built but unopened Plympton bypass. Even the presence of Eddy Merckx didn't lift it, and the publicity caravan stayed in France. It also didn't help that HM Customs and Excise tried to charge duty on the spare equipment the teams had brought over with them. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

1994 was much better, with a local police estimate of over two million people turning out to watch the two stages - the biggest on-the-spot audience in Tour history, which is likely to be exceeded in London. The first stage was from Dover to Brighton, and then the following day on to Portsmouth by a circuitous route (I watched it as it went through Basingstoke). The CAA even had the Gatwick flight paths rerouted so that the planes wouldn't interfere with the Tour's helicopters! :D

13. crymble

There is also an exhibition of Graham Watson's cycling on at the same time which would be worth seeing.

K

HERE

14. Baz94

Baz94 Well-Known Member

It will be down the road from me in Rochester :)

15. Bettina

Bettina Well-Known Member

Might go down to the prologue in Hyde Park. I saw a bike race in Highgate last year and it was, basically, a bleeping waste of my time. All drivers were in the peloton maybe one or two leading yards and it was over in a second.

16. crymble

Thats me all booked now - arriving in Gatwick late Friday.

I don't know where I will be for the prologue - probably wandering round the course - but on the Sunday I will be at the start as from experience that is the best place to see all the riders - no action shots, but for me it is nice to see some of my heros in the flesh close up.

K