1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tour de France - Forum Day Out

Discussion in 'Forthcoming Events' started by Lounge Lizard, Mar 11, 2007.

1. Lounge Lizard

Lounge Lizard Well-Known Member

Who would be interested in a forum meet-up to shoot the start of the Tour de France in London this year? See here for more details.

2. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Yeah. Put me down

3. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Vet contacted... :D

4. geepee

geepee Well-Known Member

:D :D

5. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

Depends. Is it mandatory for the spectators to be drugged up to the eyeballs as well? :eek: :D

6. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Drugs - At least cycling puts it's drug problem out in the open. No professional sport is immune from it. There will always be those who choose to cheat.
    In response to the original post, I've already booked a hotel for the weekend. Hopefully it should provide excellent photo opportunities.

7. rags4983

rags4983 Well-Known Member

I shot the start day of the tour year before last and it was a great experience. I am planning on getting back from belgium the night before the start so hopefully I can meet up with you guys.

8. Aliera

Aliera Well-Known Member

...you owe me a new keyboard too!
    (Note to self - stop drinking coffee anywhere near the pc in future... :D)

9. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Since when has London been in France? Are English roads really to be closed for the sake of a kids competition with French players?

10. parisian

parisian Well-Known Member

I think you will find that these guys are the fittest athletes on the planet.

11. Lounge Lizard

They always try to start from somewhere different each year even if it is in another country. Call it Tour de Londres if you wish. It's open to anybody to take part - in fact, it has been won 7 times by the American Lance Armstrong, now retired.

12. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Since forever, hasn't it? I've certainly always considered it to be part of France. ;)

13. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

It might aswell be in France...London is just as far away for me (not far enough :D ).

14. Hwntws

Hwntws Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I notice that Downfader is looking to purchase a bike, Trying to tell us something?? Images of the licra please.
    Ray

15. crymble

crymble Well-Known Member

I'll be in London for the start (and probably for the first road racing day as well.) However, I am going down with other people (a group from Aviemore, as well as possibly some people from Belfast,) so won't be able to spend all day taking photos.

But I would like to put a face to some names (or avatars,) so I will try to catch up with anyone else who is down as well.

K

P.S. I am trying to pull some strings with some contacts to get into some good positions so I will let you know if I can get anyone else into the good positions as well.

16. Per

Per Well-Known Member

I don't know if anyone here has followed Le Tour before, but the sheer scale, spectacle and speed of it is guaranteed to amaze. The worlds' media will be there - the publicity caravan alone is a couple of miles long, and average speeds around the 40kph mark.

It will be the largest cycling event ever held in this country, albeit for just 2 days out of the 3 weeks total. Expect a couple of million spectators. Closing the roads not an option.

They alernate the route clockwise/anticlockwise and start outside France every other year. For London to win the start after beating Paris to host the Olympics caused a furore in the french press!

We have a contender for the prologue on Saturday (David Millar) who would then wear the maillot jeune on Sunday through Kent. David has just won the Paris-Nice prologue (yesterday) at just under 47kph.

17. Hotblack

Hotblack Dead Horse Flogger

I'm interested David. Are you going on the Saturday for the prologue time trial, the Sunday for the main start, or both days?

18. bagpuss

bagpuss Well-Known Member

I think I recorded my interest on the other thread about this. Looks good!

19. Lounge Lizard

I might try and do both. There won't be many opportunities to catch such an event in this country.

20. crymble

crymble Well-Known Member

I met him during the tour last year and he's a nice bloke. He gave us a wave a couple of time on other stages as we were waving our Saltire - and had one painted on the road as well!
    [​IMG]

Appologies for the fuzzyness of the pic, but we were drunk at the time and I'm always more fuzzy when I'm drunk.....

Also got quite a nice pic of him on the Champs Elysses last year as well.

[​IMG]

See HERE for some more pics from last year.

K